「 power play 」

chapter thirty five

power play

I wonder if fears ever really go away, or if they just lose their power over us

   "I DON'T KNOW, here, wear it." Eleanor said, fastening the clasp of the locket around her best friends neck. Obviously, it was better than El looking after the necklace at this point. The redhead was hesitant. She knew how much this meant to her and didn't want to be the one at fault for losing the locket or it being damaged. After all, she had just witnessed her swing for her own sister and she'd overheard about how El had broken Severus' nose. Her best friend was getting resentful, that build-up of anger finally bubbling over the top. It scared Lily. There were only three ways that this could play out and none of them was promising.

   "Are you sure?" Lily said, sceptical. Her hands came up to the actual locket, fiddling with the silver pendant. It never left El's side. Something had panicked the blonde. Eleanor only nodded, a small smile on her lips. "Wait. Where are you going?! We've got plans remember." The redhead called, chasing her friend down the stairs into the packed common room.

   Silence. Rumours spread quickly around the castle. This was nothing new to her. Everyone staring and gossiping about her. All eyes focused on her. An amused hum escaped her lips as she turned back to Lily, leaning close to her so no one else could hear.

   "I've got things to do, I'll catch up with you all later. I promise." She whispered before swivelling on her heels and headed to the portrait hole. It wasn't until she was on the other side did conversations commence. It was amusing, to say the least.

   The halls were silent. Nothing out of the norm for the beautiful Spring evening. To be honest, she was surprised that so many students were in the common room to begin with. Exam season was next month and that's had everyone down to the first years in utter chaos. Eleanor understood the fifth and seventh years stressing but even that was a push. At Beauxbatons, the exams were hardly fussed over until the week they actually happened, it was a rather strange atmosphere.

   She paused outside the same spot on the seventh floor of the left corridor before beginning to pace. Her mind was focusing on what she wanted in the room as she waited for the door to appear. It wasn't her usual room that she shared with Mary.

   No. This was new. The blonde pushed the door open to reveal a dull-looking room. A mix of dark greys and muted blues. There were those rows of small windows on the left-hand wall that were always present but this time there was hardly any light coming through. Along the back wall was the iron-cast dummies that they used in Defence Against the Dark Arts.