「 the match from hell 」

chapter seventeen

the match from hell

Worse than a bloody hand is a hard heart

AFTER THAT INCIDENT, the girl didn't exactly feel like returning to her friends. She very much preferred to be alone in such a state. But curfew neared and the last thing she wanted was detention. The halls were silent as she wandered through the castle. Instead of being peaceful, it was eerie. A shiver ran across her skin as she pulled her blazer tightly around her, she had left her cloak back in the common room. The exposed skin on her thighs was frozen and if she stood still, she would shiver. Everything felt odd.

The fat lady glared her down as she whispered the password. Her head fell, staring at the floor as she walked in. In the background, the fire cracked lowly as it simmered into ashes. A lone figure sat on the sofa, staring straight at the bland wall. Knuckles were covered in dry blood and there was a splatter of red on his once pristine shirt. His shirt sleeves were rolled as one arm rested on his leg and the other was the arm of the chair, propping his head up. Looking towards him, she paused on the spot. The blonde was quite dizzy after none stop crying. Her eyes were red raw and her nose was stuffy.

"Where is everyone?" Eleanor asked, barely audible. His head turned to her, there was a brief pause as he tried to register what she had just said.

"Mary and Lily took Marlene to the hospital wing, they haven't returned. The boys are upstairs." He told her plainly, eyes flickering back to his spot on his wall. Ellie blinked, standing there guiltily as if she was at fault for all of this. At home, bluntness and silence equalled that you were not in the good books.

"You're not mad at me, are you?" The girl quizzed with a tremble to her voice. He immediately frowned at her words before he turned his head back to face her, only now taking in her timid stance. A brow raised, he scanned her sunken head as she stared at the nails that she was picking at. There was only one other time he had seen her like that and it was when she was -practically- being verbally abused by Annabeth.

"Why would I be?" Sirius questioned back, his body now turning towards her as she slightly relaxed.

"I- Well." Her brain was rushing with thoughts that would sound ridiculous out loud. "It doesn't matter." She breathed, not wanting to sound weak because she usually felt that way. There was a pause as they watched each other. Her leg shook lightly from the breeze, causing her to take a step back. "You should probably wrap your knuckles so they heal properly." Eleanor commented, looking back to his hands. "I can do it if you want." She added.