「the yellow acacia 」

chapter four

「the yellow acacia」

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls

   FROM THE DAY she realised, Delilah wanted to help but she didn't know-how. Thanks to Celine, Eleanor's best friend from France, the four girls began to recognise the symptoms because the girl was so open about her lycanthropy. Unlike Eleanor and Delilah, the other two weren't so accepting at first and it was all to do with fear. After knowing Celine for so many years, they came to terms with the condition and constantly felt guilty because of the way they reacted. When she was young, Eleanor and Adelaide were exposed to all kinds of people because of their mother, meaning they didn't share the same prejudiced views as their father. Whereas Delilah was never one to judge as she knew how badly judgement could hurt. To be honest, Delilah wasn't sure if the other girls had caught on about Remus, Eleanor definitely had because she acted the same around Celine as she did with the boy - with extra care, something only Delilah noticed- and she never said a word to the others in case they didn't know. It wasn't her secret to tell. Remus had no idea that she knew and Lilah wasn't fond of confrontation, especially since the matter was so private. Furthermore, she hardly spoke to the boy. Yes, she may have had a crush on him since second year but it was only that; a crush, or so she thought. So there was definitely no chance in him telling her. Therefore, the Hufflepuff used one of her many passions as a way of sympathy and support, Madame Pomfrey was a massive help and never said a word when Remus asked who they came from. In true Marauder style, they devised a plan to catch the culprit. The suspect obviously knew about Remus' condition and that put the boy on edge for the last three years. So, when the moon approached, tensions were high along with the pain and suffering he already faced.

   "Think about it this way, Moony, after today you'll have one less thing to worry about." James said, shovelling some bacon into his mouth as he talked to the groaning boy. Remus' face was planted firmly on the table due to the raging headache that made him struggle to focus.

   "Not if it's Rayne Roldrick." Sirius joked slyly, making fun of the larger Slytherin girl with the wild hair and the quiet demeanour. He and James giggled like little school girls while Peter smiled widely, picking at his food as he held back a laugh.

   "Why would that be a problem?" Remus grumbled, he was barely audible but still came to the girl's defence. He'd spoken to her, once or twice and she was a nice girl. Most people liked to make fun of her because she defied all of societies 'norms'. If it was Rayne, he wouldn't be bothered. Anyone who had been so dedicated would be special to him.