「 nothing's fair in war 」

chapter twenty two

nothing's fair in war

The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him

   "MS. EMMELL, PLEASE excuse me. May I please borrow Mr Black and Miss Westbrook." The stern voice of Professor McGonagall spoke after she had knocked on the door, interrupting their alchemy lesson. Immediately looking up, Eleanor's eyes shot to her three friends who held a similar look of worry. With a nod of her head, they stood up and were told to collect their things. "Quickly. Keep up." She said, storming ahead of them. They followed in silence, unsure of what was to come. Occasionally, she caught eyes with the boy beside her but all he could do was offer a comforting smile as he was equally on edge.

Everything became more clear when they reached the corridor of the Hospital Wing. It had been three days since the incident and Isadora was yet to wake. Auror's and ministry officials had swarmed the castle because of the unforgivable spell used. Along with the current predicament of muggleborn and muggle attack, they were well in reason to believe that this could be related to the self-proclaimed deatheaters.

   Once they had entered, everything became silent as the adults turned their attention to the two teens. McGonagall came to a halt and turned to face them, just outside of the closed-off section.

   "Miss Marshall is awake. She has refused to speak and has only requested the presence of you both." The woman explained. Slight confusion laced between them as they wondered why especially Sirius as he had never spoken to the girl before. But they couldn't question McGonagall as she had pulled back the curtain and ushered them through.

There sat Isadora, awake, paled and saddened but healthy nonetheless. In an instant, Eleanor was by her side and pulled the Hufflepuff into a tight hug, one she returned immediately. They stayed like that for a few extra moments until the blonde shuffled back, taking hold of her hand. Sirius hovered in the corner, his arms crossed over his chest as he stood there like a statue. No emotion. Just like he had been taught until he was sixteen.

"What happened?" The blonde asked, barely audible as she scanned Isadora's face. Not a word was said. After a moment, she pointed to her ear and then to the curtain. El's eyes followed and she understood what she meant. Standing up, she pulled out her wand and whispered "Silencio." Creating a dome around them so they could talk in private.

"When I was walking back to the dorms, I was completely dazed and practically out of my mind. Someone grabbed me and I hit my head when I was thrown in the room." Isadora began to talk as the blonde sat on her bedside, holding the girl's hand once more. "Listen, Eleanor, I can't tell them what happened. He will- it's you. They want you. They are trying to use me to get to you." She spouted, tightening her grip on the blonde's hand.