「manipulator 」

chapter five

manipulator

When you know what a man wants you to knowwho he is, and how to move him

who he is, and how to move him.

   HOGWARTS WAS A much more vibrant atmosphere compared to Adelaide's old school. From the common rooms to lessons, everything was very different and the girl definitely preferred it here. Although she loved her friends back at home, they were just so different from her. Most of them had more in common with her sister than Ada and it worked for sisters, just having a few similar interests, but it didn't really work for friends. Where both sisters loved reading, Eleanor preferred the classics that their mother used to read to them, Adelaide preferred non-fiction books that she studied with their father. The two grew up under the same roof yet had very different experiences. Even though their experiences and their personalities were completely different, the two dressed the same and were practically identical. Both of them knew how to read people, how to get what they wanted, they knew how to get inside people's heads - something that the girls secretly loved doing- but Ellie could do more inexplicable actions than Ada, which was confusing since they were taught how to do these things together. Adelaide wondered if their mother taught the blonde more, it was highly plausible.

   The Westbrook's were truly a mystery to the world, the people knew what their father wanted them to know. Until this Summer, of course. Adelaide had never seen her father so angered in her life. You see, Eleanor had exposed something about the family that she didn't even know herself but when the information was spread to the right person, it threatened to destroy everything their father had built. That's why they fled, he knew exactly what could save the family.

   Where Eleanor was forced into academic subjects like potions and transfiguration, her father had no problem letting Ada do things alongside those subjects like divinations and astrology. Things that Adelaide was actually passionate about. She knew El would never question it though, all she wanted to do was impress their father but it never seemed to work, not whilst the girl was so keen on music, fashion and modelling. All influenced by their mother but they were the only things that kept Eleanor happy anymore. Like she was struggling to keep the connection between herself and their mother alive. Adelaide could see it clearly, she felt so guilty just sitting and watching the war unfold between her family because she loved them all so dearly. Only Eleanor seemed to come out hurt, just wanting someone to understand but deep down Adelaide couldn't. Every day, she was filled with guilt but deep down she didn't really care. She would look back at family photos and a tear would roll down her face but deep down she felt nothing. When her mother's death was announced, she felt nothing and that had haunted her ever since but she still didn't feel the pain of loss. She had watched her sister lose everything in mere seconds, nothing had changed for her. Not really. Not for a long time anyway. Slowly, she got that motherly connection with Annabeth and finally started to understand El. At the same time, Eleanor had begun to drift. She spent all of her time out of the home, either with her friends in France or those from England and only returned when their father needed to show off Eleanor for some prestigious event. It was strange because they spent every day together at Beauxbatons, never leaving each other's side but when they were home El was a complete stranger. The same thing had happened here, the blonde had come to see her sister every evening but it felt like everything had changed...