「 a splash of supremacy 」

chapter nine

a splash of supremacy

Politeness is the first thing people lose once they get power

WINTER CALLED CLOSE in the month of November. Places around the country were preparing for the worst snowstorm in over a century. Shops shut, bars barricaded, cafes closed. Streetlife as a whole had come to a sudden stop. Even nature had dwindled to a minimum. No one could bare the cold that was sucking the happiness out of the world. As birds migrated and squirrels hibernated,  the world as they knew it seemed so quiet. For most, the silence was peaceful, it gave them a break from the chaos accumulating around them but for those like Eleanor, nothing was more deadly. Cooped up for hours on end, constantly around others, or left with her own thoughts: El was plunged into her worst nightmare with school work being her only distraction. Lily had been making it hard for her to sneak away for a drink or a smoke, El didn't know whether to thank her or slap her. At this rate, it was going to be the latter.

To be fair, the weeks had passed swiftly along and the end of the months was days away. Luckily for her, Jinky hadn't even said a word to her since the incident but she got some nasty glares thrown her way instead. She hadn't been asked to demonstrate since then, a part of her itched to show off once more. The look of shock on everyone's faces gave her a thrill like no other. Power. Everyone had that craving once in a while, right?

Going between groups became a norm for the girl. Although, she had convinced Edith and Dorcas to join the group often - Eleanor and Marlene visited them in the greenhouses or in the forest to help with the animals. The blonde had a nack for both, so the two found it strange that El hadn't taken care of magical creatures or did the bare minimum in Herbology. Marlene could probably guess why. Lily and Delilah would spend time with Isadora and Thomas -who Eleanor had only briefly met- whilst they were with the others. Apart from them, she was with the boys, obviously. The last full moon was the best Remus had ever had, he believed it was the serum that El gave him. If only he knew the truth...

The workload was triple the amount to October and, thanks to Lily, she was keeping up fine with all of it. With the odd detention, Eleanor was a fairly good student. She had gained more house points than she had lost, so that was a plus.

Today was only a short day. Potions at eleven, followed by a single of transfiguration and charms. Eleanor felt like she was always in potions. Since her partner was Dorcas, she didn't mind. A splendid way to spend her Wednesday. Not. Monday was the worst though, without a doubt. Plus, the boys would be there to cheer her up after potions.