[7]

"What's that?" Luke asked, pointing at my sketchbook.

"Nothing," I pull it away from him and hug it to my chest.

"Oh, girl stuff," Luke says in a high pitched voice.

"Oh," Reggies says, sitting down on the couch next to me. "Like butterflies and glitter?"

"Oh, come on," Alex sighs. "I'm sorry about them."

"I'd really appreciate it if you guys could leave me alone," I say, pulling my sketchbook tighter against my chest. "I'm trying to work here."

"Just one peek?" Luke begs, sticking his lip out. I watch as he quivers his lower lip, Reggie attempting to do the same. Luke's puppy dog eyes make my heartbeat flutter momentarily.

"Fine," I say, rolling my eyes. "But it's not finished."

I lay my sketchbook on the coffee table and look at it from a distance. Half-completed it looks terrible. I start to see every imperfection on the paper. Her lips are too tall; her nose is too wide. The shadows on her neck arent deep enough. She looks disproportionate.

"Woah," Luke gapes at the drawing

"Woah," Luke gapes at the drawing. He comes around to the other side of the table to look at it from the right side. "You drew this?"

"Yeah," I blush, hiding my face in my hands. "Its not finished so don't judge it please."

"No," Luke stammers. "It's-it's really good."

"What?" I peek at him through my fingers.

"It's Julie right?" Reggie asks, leaning closer to the paper.

"Yeah," I nod.

"You're an amazing artist, Dahlia," Luke compliments me.

"Thank yo-"

"Good morning!" Julie yells, swinging the garage door open. I quickly pick up my sketchbook and slam it shut, stuffing it under the couch.

"Hey, Julie," I smile.

"Where are the guys?" Julie asks, looking around.

"Oh, uh-" I look around too. When I can't find them anywhere, I feel my brows furrow together. "I don't know."

"Okay, weird," Julie nods slowly. "Dad made some breakfast for you."

"Oh, sweet," I say getting off the couch and walking to the door. "Are you coming?"

"No, no," Julie shakes her head. "I already ate."

"Oh, okay," I nod, a pang of disappointment hitting me in the stomach. "I'll -uh- come back after breakfast and we can bike to school together, yeah?"

"Yeah, sounds great," Julie smiles, turning to walk to the piano. I watch as she runs her hand over the top of it, picking up sheet music that sat on top of it. I decided sticking around would be rude, so I head up to the house.

"Hey!" I hear someone shout from behind me. I quickly turn around to see Luke jogging toward me.

"Where'd you guys go?" I ask.

"We heard Julie coming so we poofed out," Luke explains.

"Okay," I say, holding the y for a couple seconds. I bob my head awkwardly while Luke stands there with his hands in his pockets. "Do you need something or-?"

"Oh," he pulls one of his hands out of his pocket and points at me. "I -uh- just was wondering what you're doing."

"I'm going to go eat breakfast," I answer, pointing my thumb back at the house.

"Oh, okay," Luke says.

"Is that all, dork?" I chuckle.

"Oh -uh- yeah," he nods.

"Okay then," I say, turning around and walking back toward the house. I get inside and sit at the counter, eating the eggs and toast that Dad made for me.

"Thank you, Papa," I smile, putting my plate in the sink.

"Have a good day at school, Mija," he says, kissing my head.

I walk out of the house, slinging my backpack over my shoulder. I go to open the garage door, but I hear piano chords on the other side of the door. I put my ear up to it and I can hear Julie singing and more piano being played. I smile to myself.

When the song is over, I whisper, "She's back."

I hear a swooshing sound and jump when I hear Alex and Luke bickering.

"Why did you stop me? Julie obviously needs a hug," Alex says.

"Trust me, what Julie needs is space," Luke argues. "Ghost hugs aren't as great as you think."

"I just think you can't handle when other people cry. You know, I cried in a room for twenty five years and I didnt get a single hug from either of you," Alex looks between Luke and Reggie, pointing accusing fingers.

"Somebody give Alex a hug, Jesus," I laugh, folding my arms over my chest.

"Bring it in buddy," Reggie says, holding his arms out.

"Don't touch me," Alex barks.

"Dahlia," Luke walks up to me. "Why did Julie lie about playing the piano?"

"And why didn't she say she could sing? That girl can sing," Reggie says.

"Guys, I'm sure it's got something to do with her mom," Alex cuts in. "I mean that had to be hard."

"Alex is right," I nod. "Julie was really messed up after Mom died. That's the first time she's even touched the piano since then."

"Who's that?" Reggie asks, pointing to the girl walking toward the garage.

"Flynn! Hey," I force a smile.

"Hi," I sniffled, wiping her face and walking passed me.

"Was she crying too?" Reggie asks.

"Yes," Alex rubs his temples, obviously trying to not scream at Reggie's lack of attentiveness.

"And the only thing worse than one girl crying, is two girls crying," Luke says.

"Look, if Flynn is here, Julie will want to be left alone," I start walking toward the street.

"Well, where are you going?" Luke asks.

"School," I answer. "Unlike Julie, I'm still part of the program. As much as I would love to stick around and listen to her sing again, I have classes that I can't afford to miss."

A.N.

Heyo!

Sorry this chapter is so short, but I just wasn't really feeling this part anymore. The next chapter is going to be epic though, I can feel it.

Remember to vote, comment, and share!

Peace Loves

-Redd