[49]

^^I just throughoughly enjoy this picture of Charlie, Owen and Jeremy so I thought I'd share

I fill up a glass from the cupboard and barely take a sip before there's a whooshing sound behind me. I roll my eyes before slowly turning around. Reggie and Alex are standing with their hands fiddling awkwardly, obviously unsure of what to do.

"You guys sounded great," I smile over my glass.

"We think you should see something," Reggie says ubbruptly.

Alex smacks his chest before continuing his explanation. "We noticed something about Luke. He disappears every evening now, sometimes during the middle of the day. He's just off. Well, we found out where he's been going and we think you should see it. I know you think he's selfish and oblivious and whatever else you can think of, but he does feel things. I think you might not be so quick to think those things if you could just see this."

"I don't know if that's such a good idea," I shake my head, setting my glass down by the sink. "We're sort of not talking right now."

"Dahlia, please," Alex says, holding his hand out to me. I think for a moment.

Luke is hurting and it's my fault. I'm giving myself whiplash with my own emotions. And this game of hot and cold couldn't get much more complicated.

I take Alex's hand, "Okay. I'll go."

*****

The house is simple and homey looking. It seems out of place for an LA home, but so do all of the other cute little houses in this part of the neighborhood. I follow Alex and Reggie toward some bushes around the house and hide myself.

Through the big window, I can see an older couple sitting at the table, a small dinner laid out in front of them. They both look toward the seat farthest from the window, where there is an empty chair and plate. I see a shimmering spot of the woman's cheek as she turns back to continue eating her dinner.

"Luke should be coming in any second," Alex says, disrupting my observing. As he says this, I watch a familiar boy appear in the empty chair. He looks between the man and the woman, his face growing dark. I see his eyes water as he reaches out for the woman's hand. The tears only begin to fall when he can't hold it.

"That's-" I choke on my own words. "Luke's mom?"

Alex nods and looks back at Luke's parents, "We've seen him come here while they're eating. They always have an open spot for him and he always tries to contact them, but it never works. He doesn't give up until they're done eating though."

"We set an empty place for my mom too," I say. "Sorry. I didn't mean to say that out loud."

Reggie nods and looks back at Luke.

Alex walks toward me and puts his arm around me, "We should probably get you home."

"But Luke-"

"Yeah," Alex cuts me off. "Don't tell him we were here okay? We haven't told him we know he comes here yet."

"Okay," I agree, sneaking back toward the front of the house and beginning my journey back home. "I wish that I could help him."

"We do too," Reggie says. "But the world kept going on without us. Just like it always has and always will."

I stop walking and process Reggie's words. People die everyday and the entire planet still spins. But for anyone who has known, befriended, loved, has had whatever relationship it may be with the deceased, they're world pauses. At least momentarily. I realize that my time with the boys has a time limit now. And my world may have to pause yet again.

"You okay, Lia?" Alex asks.

I ignore him and walk toward Reggie. I wrap my arms around him, desperate to be able to make contact with him. When I can, I feel a rush of relief wash over me.

"What are you doing?" Reggie laughs quietly.

"I won't forget you," I say, letting him go. "Either of you. I promise."

Alex smiles weakly before turning on his heels. "Onward besties," he points toward the horizon.

I laugh and shake my head before following him back home. Limited time means I'll have to remember as many little things as possible. Like Reggie loves for showers. Alex's anxious drumming that ends up just sounding like a kid using pots and wooden spoons to make "music." Reggie's constant need to make my dad his best friend, which is weird but I know thats just Reggie. Like Luke's grumpy face whenever he doesn't get enough attention. Alex's ability to tell me the truth without making me feel bad. Reggie's crinkled eyes when he smiles. Luke's eyes focusing on the guitar, on his lyric notebook, on me. How much my heart races when I hug all three of them. How much I owe them for bringing my sister back to me. And everything else I know ill remember forever.

Because I love these boys more than I could ever love anything else.

A.N.

Hia!

Wow whatttttt? Two days in a row again? Thats crazy!

Anywho, I hope you liked this chapter!

-Redd

💀✌🦋😘❄😳🐍😎🏳️‍🌈🤠🥁