[57]

Dahlia's P.O.V.

"No, Luke!" I shout, but yet again. The words don't come out. I go to take another step toward him, but my chains get heavier and trip me.

Luke glances down at me before staring at Caleb, "You release Alex, Reggie, Willie, and Dahlia. You promise to never hurt them, touch them, see them ever again," Luke says. "And I'll join your little club. Permanently."

"Deal," Caleb smirks, sticking his hand out.

"But you listen," Luke says, pausing before shaking his hand. "If you do anything to them ever again, if you break this deal, I get out for free. No questions asked. And you can't touch me, any of us. Ever again."

Caleb shoves his hand farther toward Luke. I shake my head, feeling my eyes fill with tears. I look over at Alex. He's crying and trying to scream, but the thick wires over his mouth create a perfect muzzle.

Reggie screams from the ceiling. "No! Luke, don't do it!"

He is silenced by some sort of plastic strap from the ceiling.

Luke nods and grabs Caleb's hand. His face quickly becomes tense, like something is being drawn out of him. He falls to his knees, the veins in his neck popping. He closes his eyes tightly, resisting a scream. He's in pain.

I cry.

When the handshake is broken. Luke falls to the ground, panting. Reggie's restraints break and he gets lowered to the ground. Alex is broken free and coughs. My chains fade away. My throat stops burning.

"Luke," my voice sounds weak in my ears. "Luke, no. No. No." I crawl to him and hold his head in my lap. "Open your eyes. Please, open your eyes."

He coughs lightly and forces a smile. "Not exactly what I picture it would feel like to shake the devil's hand."

"You shouldn't have made that deal, Luke," I shake my head, rubbing the side of his face with my thumb.

"You'd do it for me," he sighs, opening his eyes. I feel tears roll down my cheeks. I shake my head before leaning over and pressing my lips to his forehead.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper.

"Shut up," he shakes his head, forcing a smile. "This is my fault."

I shake my head again before bringing my face to his. Our lips meet.

It's only for a few moments, making me wish I would've done it sooner, at a better time. Where Luke's soul was his own and before I was holding him weakly in my arms in front of the devil himself.

"I'm going to get you out of here," I promise, my mouth barely apart from his. "I promise."

"Disgusting," I hear Caleb scoff. "Time to go."

"Luke," I say quickly. "I promise."

"Dahl, top shelf, under the butterflies and glitter," he says quickly. "It's there."

There's a loud whooshing sound in my ears and darkness momentarily. I start walking. Soon, the darkness turns into shapes. Lamp posts, parked cars, houses. Then there is light. Then the colors come. Flashing blues and reds. Shadows run at me. One of them grabs my shoulders, shaking me aggressively.

"Mija! What happened? Where were you?!"

There are several voices screaming at me. But I can't hear any of them.

Under the butterflies and glitter.

I walk through the shadows toward my house. I slip under a bright yellow band and go inside, up the stairs, to my bedroom. When I get inside I instinctively lock the door.

I walk to Julie's bed. Top shelf. Under the butterflies and glitter.

I reach up to Julie's top shelf and grab her dreambox. I pick it up and feel the shelf underneath. Sure enough, there is something there. I pick up the folded piece of paper and set Julie's box back down. I unfold the paper to see one of my drawings of Luke. One of my favorites.

I turn the paper over. In the messinessiest writing I've ever seen, there's a letter.

A.N.

Fifth to last chapter yall....

They FINALLY FREAKING KISSED!!!!! AGHGHAGHFOGIRBSKC!

-Redd

💀✌🦋😘❄😳🐍😎🏳️‍🌈🤠🥁