[53]

"Dahlia?" I jump as I step into Mr. Davees room. I spin around and see Luke standing in the middle of the room.

"What are you doing here?" I whisper shout, crossing the room.

"Well, Julie was already home from school and I got scared when I didn't see you with her," he explains. "Why are you still here?"

"I have-"

"Welcome Miss Molina!" Mr. Davees says, walking into the room.

"Hey, Mr. Davees," I greet him.

"Tyler should be joining us shortly," he says. "But you can get started right away."

"Awesome," I nod, toning back the sarcasm in my voice.

"I know for a fact you've never served a detention before," Mr. Davees says, walking toward the cabinet that held all the paint brushes. "And I feel bad for being the first teacher to give you one. But something has changed in you. In some ways, I find it good," he digs around in the cabinet. "But in other ways," two big blue buckets come out in either of his hands. "Not so much."

He hands me the buckets, both of them are full of crummy paint brushes, most of them stained and beaten.

"Hopefully, cleaning these brushes with Tyler will help you sort out the better aspects from the not so great ones," Mr. Davees smiles. "I know you're a good kid, Dahlia, and I hope this is the last time we meet under these circumstances."

"That makes two of us," I say through a smile.

"You have detention?" Luke leans over me. "Ooooo."

"Shut it," I whisper, praying the Mr. Davees is out of ear shot. I look over at him to see him bobbing his head to the music blaring in his headphones.

"How'd you get detention?" Luke asks. "I thought you were a two shoes."

"I don't even ge-" I shake my head, running soapy water to clean the brushes. "Look, I was just talking to-"

"I'm late," Tyler rushes into the classroom. Mr. Davees glances at him before pointing my direction and looking back at his painting.

"Hey, Lia," Tyler smiles, walking toward me.

"Hi," I sigh.

"You're kidding," Luke scoffs. "You got detention because of this guy?"

"I'm sorry I was late," Tyler says over Luke.

"Shut up," I say to Luke. Tyler gives me a weird look before I push his shoulder lightly. "Oh my gosh, shut up. You were all of two minutes late."

"Didn't want you to think I was bailing," he laughs.

I shook my head and smiled before picking up another dirty brush. I can feel Luke glare at me before turning on his heels and disappearing.

I guess I'd hoped we'd put the whole jealousy thing behind us, but evidently not.

*****

"How was detention?" Reggie appears by my window, followed by Alex and a very grumpy looking Luke.

"It wasn't bad," I reply. I flopped down on my bed and stared up at my Tony Stark poster. "Hey, do you guys know where my sketchbook is?"

"I think you left it in the garage," Alex answers.

"Oh my god," I wipe my face with my hands. "So I did leave it behind. I was freaking out at school today cause I thought someone stole it." I try my hardest not to glance at Luke when I say this. It's not that I don't trust him, but he did go through Julie's dreambox before. What's to stop him from going through my sketchbook now?

"I'll go get it in a second," I mumble quickly to fill the growing silence. It doesn't solve anything. Alex awkwardly looks from Luke to Reggie, who looks oblivious.

"Hey, Reggie," Alex says finally, clapping his hand on his shoulder. "Let's go to the beach."

"Yeah, that sounds like a great idea," Reggie nods. "Hey, Lia, Lu-"

"Just you and me, buddy," Alex cuts him off.

"Oh, I-"

"Okay, bye," Alex says quickly, making him and Reggie both disappear. I close my eyes and take a deep breath after they're gone.

"Are we gonna talk about what's going on with you?" I ask quietly.

"What's going on with me? There's nothing going on with me," Luke rambles.

"Obviously Tyler is bothering you," I say, sitting up on my bed. "I mean, I thought we had gotten past this. I thought we were going to be able to be friends again."

"We are friends. We were never not friends," Luke says, looking upset.

I pause for a moment. "I shouldn't have said it like that."

"I don't care about Tiger," Luke mumbles.

"Yeah, you do," I nod. "So what is it? Because first we're getting along great and everything is freaking amazing. Then three second later we're arguing about something. We're so hot and cold. It's hurting my brain trying to figure out what's going on here."

"I-" he stops and take a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

"That's all you've got?" I ask. I can feel my voice breaking, my eyes beginning to water. I really hate to cry over something so stupid, but it's Luke. And he is important to me. Maybe in a way he'll never understand.

"Yeah," he nods. "Yeah, thats all I've got."

He looks at the ground, refusing to meet my eyes. I follow suit.

"Could you-" my voice cracks. I settle for the whisper that comes out, "Can you give me a minute, please?"

"Dahl, I didn't mean to make you-"

"Just," I cut him off, putting my hand across my forehead, shielding my eyes. "Please, get out."

I don't hear him say anything else before there is a whooshing sound and the room feels deserted. And that's when my quiet sobs come forward.

I have a week left with the boys. One week. I can't go around destroying my friendship with any of them now.

A.N.

Hi....

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I wish I had an excuse, but I don't. I just haven't been writing.

Anywho! Hope you liked this chapter.

All my love

-Redd

💀✌🦋😘❄😳🐍😎🏳️‍🌈🤠🥁