[48]

The garage party. A chance for "Julie and The Phantoms" to become a YouTube sensation. And a chance for me to get away from Luke's attention. Its draining having a ghost boy follow you around like a lost puppy when all you want is just some space.

My mind raves.

Why are the boys getting shook up so bad? Why can't I help them? Why could I see Willie? Am I some kind of psychic? Here i am just vibing with the dead... it's fine.

"You look like me," Alex laughs, leaning back on his hands as he sits on my bed. "You've been on the run way fir the last five minutes."

I stop pacing and sit next to him, "I'm just thinking is all."

"About what happened with Luke?" He asks.

I nod. "And the jolts. And why I could see Willie. And what's wrong with me."

"There's nothing wrong with you, Lia," Alex says.

Theres obviously something," I argue. "I mean, how many other teenage girls do you know who can talk to and see actual ghosts!"

"I know one," he points toward Julie's bed.

'Julie doesn't count," I shake my head. "She's... different."

"And so are you," Alex says. "But that doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. Don't ever think that."

I look up at him, forcing a little smile.

"Now, get ready for the party," he tipped his head toward the door. "It starts in 10 minutes."

"Thank you, Alex," I say before he nods and poofs out of my room.

*****

I walk down the stairs and out toward the garage. The piano is already pulled out and the "hologram" projector is set up by Dad. He's putting the camera I suggested on a stand and positioning it. I find Nick, who waves me over to him.

"Hey, you made it," I greet him.

"Yeah, wouldn't miss this," he smiles. He looks up to where Julie is walking toward the piano and I put pieces together.

"Awe," I put my hand over my heart. "You like Julie."

"What? No," he shakes his head, very unsure of himself. "No, we're just friends is all."

I cross my arms and nod, "Okay, Nicholas. What'sCarrie got to say about this?"

"Hey, why don't you go bother Tyler?" He laughs, pointing toward the gate. Tyler is walking toward us. I meet him halfway as Julie sits down at the piano.

"Hey," he wraps his arm around my waist and hugs me.

"You made it," I smile. I pull out of our hug and point my thumb over my shoulder. "Nick is over there."

"Carrie's not here is she?" Tyler asks, looking around.

"No, I haven't seen her," I shake my head. "Why?"

"I'm sure she'd be ready to cause a scene if she ran into Nick," he explains. "They broke up and Carrie's a little... in denial."

"Oh," I say. "I didn't know."

"How would you? Nick won't bad mouth her and he wouldn't say anything about the break up in the first place," Tyler shrugs, looking toward Julie, who had started singing. "He's not really one for drama."

"That explains a lot about the break up then I suppose," I mumble under my breath, focusing my attention back on Julie. She sings beautifully, as always. That's my sister.

She looks out into the crowd, finding who I assume is Flynn in the front row and taking her hand. She looks out again and sees me standing by Tyler. She winks before continuing the song.

My breath hitches when I hear him. It's just a few notes from his guitar, but its enough to remind me that he still exists.

Julie's beautiful solo moment on the piano has spurts of guitar between rests. Of course he has to get the attention on him again.

Until the end of the song, I have the strength to push away thinking about Luke. Thats when he starts singing with Julie, sharing that microphone, her staring at him looking like she's completely and undeniably in love with him. But he's not in it and its only obvious enough to people who can see what he looks like when he's looking at someone he does see that way. Someone like me.

I shake my head and close my eyes tightly. I don't want to see it. It makes me feel like a terrible person, hurting Julie like that, hurting Tyler like that. Neither of them deserve it.

"Are you okay?" Tyler asks, clapping his hands slowly. I quickly start clappibg, realizing that I missed my cue.

"Yeah," I force a smile. "Just a little headache."

"Do you want to go inside?" He brushes his hand over my arm.

"Yeah," I nod. "Can you just let Julie know for me, please?"

"Of course," he kisses the top of my head before I turn to walk to the house.

Walking out before I can tell my sister how great she is? Check. Overpowering guilt flooding my entire being? Check.

I need water.

A.N.

Wow.

Its been a second. I'm sorry bout that. This college class I'm taking rn is just kicking my a$$ tbh.

Anywho!

Here's this hot mess. Hope you enjoyed it.

-Redd

💀✌🦋😘❄😳🐍😎🏳️‍🌈🤠🥁

(ON A SIDE NOTE... I got a freaking 27 on my ACT! I'm so pumped!)