[32]

"Dahlia, hey," Tyler takes my hand as I reach the bottom of the stairs. "Where'd you go?"

"I -uh- just needed a little space," I explain. "I was just upstairs taking a breather."

"Oh, alright," he nods. "You feeling okay? You look like you've seen a ghost."

I laugh... too loud. I quickly smack my hand over my mouth and mumble an apology.

"Do you want me to give you a ride home?" Tyler asks, putting the back of his hand to my forehead.

I grab it and interlock my fingers with his. I nod and feel myself leaning into him.

"Woah," he says, holding my shoulder to try to keep my upright. I don't know why, but I feel weak. Maybe it was seeing Luke float or maybe it's because it's nearly 2:30 A.M. Perhaps it's simply because of my emotional exhaustion.

"Alright, let's get you home," I hear Tyler say before I suddenly feel lighter and my feet don't have to shift for me to be in motion. It takes a few moments for me to process the fact that Tyler is carrying me, like a huge baby. But I'm too tired to fight him and my eyelids are too heavy to even watch the looks we're probably getting.

*****

Luke's P.O.V.

Dahlia.

Ray carries her into the house and up the stairs. It looks like it doesn't take a lot of effort, which is odd considering the fact that she is a full grown 16-year-old. I watch as he carries her into her bedroom and sets her down on the bed. She shifts out of his arms easily and immediately rolls onto her stomach.

I wait until Ray leaves and shuts the door before I sit down on the bed, my legs next to Dahlia's head.

"Somebody's sleepy," I whisper.

She groans quietly, "It's 3 A.M."

"I know, I know," I laugh quietly.

"Luke," she whispers, her eyes still sealed shut. "Will you stay?"

The drowsiness in her voice makes me think she isn't actually thinking about the words coming out of her mouth.

"Of course," I say, reaching out to stroke her hair. I quickly freeze before I ask, "Can I try something?"

A small nod comes in response. I think about what she said about Alex. How he could hug her when he focused hard enough. I tried to do the same.

I think about Dahlia, just Dahlia. The dimple that appears in her cheek when she's giving me a sideways smirk. The snort she can't hold back when she laughs too hard. How hard she focuses when she's drawing and how much she relaxes when she finally completes it.

I concentrate on the curls in her hair, imagining myself touching them. I reach out again and try to.

They're soft under my fingertips.

I take a quick breath in. It comes out as a laugh.

I'm actually doing it.

I run my fingers over her head again. A small smile comes over her lips.

"Dahl," I whisper. "I can touch you."

She doesn't answer. I watch her face. The smile has faded and her back rises and lowers slowly. I close my mouth and listen to her.

I can hear every breathe she takes when I'm quiet enough. Occasionally, I can even hear her heart beating.

Thud thud. Thud thud. Thud thud.

I hold back a laugh when she starts to snore lightly. Piglet.

"What are you doing?" I look up to see Alex standing at the foot of the bed.

I quickly pull my hand away from Dahlia and sit up straight.

"She -uh- told me about how you touched," I whisper. "She asked me to stay with her and I tried it myself."

"She told you?" Alex repeats.

"Thats what I said," I say for the second time tonight.

"Okay," he nods, though his mind is obviously elsewhere.

"Anyway," I continue. "I did it."

"Did what?" He asks.

"I touched her," I clarify.

"Thats great, Luke," Alex says. "Did you figure out your floating thing?"

"You don't seem half as enthusiastic as I thought you would be," I admit.

"I know," he says. He runs his hand through his hair before he continues. "This is huge. I'm sorry. Just, did you figure it out?"

"Dahlia thinks it's because I lose focus," I explain. "I start to go on a tangent or I have so much rage, I start to lose my grip on reality. It makes me forget t I stay grounded, in more ways than one."

"Ah, funny," Alex tips his head at my joke. "I'll -uh- let you be now."

"Alex," I stop him from disappearing.

"Yeah?" He asks.

"Tell Julie I'm sorry."

"How'd you know I was going to see Julie?" He asks.

"Well, you amd Reg weren't in the studio," I explain. "I figured that meant you had to be with Julie."

"Well, I am," Alex says. "But I don't know where Reggie's at."

"Well, just-" but he cuts me off.

"I'll tell her, Luke."

"Thank you."

He nods once before looking toward Dahlia then back at me.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do."

A.N.

Oh hello again.

Yes. Two in one night. Again.

I just had the urge to write this right after I finished chapter 31. So here is this.

Thank you all so much for all the support!

I always love reading your guy's feedback and comments so PLEASE dont be afraid to hmu!!

Also! I know that a lot of spring sports are starting up so if you play a spring sport I wish you the best of luck and good health! DON'T break a leg!!

💀✌🦋😘❄😳🐍😎🏳️‍🌈🤠🥁

-Redd