[54]

^^editing Madison for Dahlia's character brings me a lot of joy

"Dahlia!" Julie screams, jumping on top of me.

"Good morning to you too," I groan as she rolls off of me.

"We did it," she spins in circles.

"What?" I ask, rubbing my eyes and sitting up.

"You are watching Julie and The Phantoms perform live at The Orpheum," she smiles. "Tonight."

"Tonight?" I repeat. "No, no. That means... that means they're crossing over tonight."

"I thought you'd be happy," Julie's excitement fades. "This is what we've been working toward. Not to mention, your sister is playing the effing Orpheum."

"I am happy," I say. "For you. What I'm not happy about is the fact that I thought I was going to have more time."

"For what, Dahlia?" She asks.

"For Luke!" I throw my blankets to the side and stand up. "For Alex! Reggie! Look, I can't lose them okay? I'm not ready."

"They have to cross over, Lia," Julie reasons with me. "That's the only way they can stop getting those jolts without joining the club."

"I know that. I just-" I take a deep breath, slowly digging through my clothes, not looking for anything specifically. "Do you remember when Mom was in the hospital?"

"Of course I do," Julie says quietly.

"Do you remember how it seemed like I didn't care anymore? How you thought I had just accepted fate?" I continue.

"Yeah," she nods. "Yeah and I got really upset with you about it. I think I know where you're going with this. You feel how I did about Mom and I'm acting like how you did when she was dying."

I grab a t shirt and bunch it up in my hands, "I had already faced what I knew was going to happen to Mom. But I can't accept the same fate for Alex and Reggie and Luke."

"You love them," Julie walks over to me and takes the shirt out of my hands. "I do too. But we can't try to keep them here, where they don't belong."

I nod my head slowly, waiting for tears to start falling. They don't until Julie wraps her arms around me and rubs my back.

"I'll still be here, Lia," she whispers. "I will be from now on."

I nod my head against her shoulder and loop my arms around her. "I love you."

"I love you too," she replies.

*****

I sit in the garage with my knees pulled up to my chest. The boys are sitting on the couch in front of me, their excited buzz wearing away.

"We don't even know what's on the other side," Reggie says, breaking silence. "I mean, do we still get to all hang out together?"

"We're just going to have to hope so," Luke says, grabbing Reggie's hand then Alex's. I can see Reggie make a face that suggests if he could be blushing, he would be.

"You guys are the only family I have," Reggie mumbles.

There's an electric crackling sound followed by three purple flashes. The boys all groan in pain.

"I'm so sorry," I whisper, scared of the weakness behind my voice. I stand up brush myself off.

"Guys!" Julie bursts through the door. Her expression changes when she reads the mood of the room. "What'd I miss?"

"We just got rocked pretty hard my one of those jolts," Alex explains.

"Oh," she says quietly. "Well, it's-it's time."

There's a quiet pause. The kind that no one really knows how to fill, not even Reggie.

"Luke," Julie finally says. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

He lets go of Reggie's and Alex's hands and walks to the side with Julie. Alex and Reggie both make their way to me.

"Are we supposed to say goodbye now?" Reggie asks quietly.

"No," I shake my head, slowly wrapping my arms around him. "No, don't think of it like that Reg."

We hug for a while before we pull away. I look over at Alex who forces a smile, mostly to hide his quivering lip.

"Come here," he sighs, holding his arms out. I fall into them, hugging him tightly.

"Thank you," I whisper with my face buried in his neck. "For everything."

"Of course, Lia," he says, before adding in a lighter tone, "Anything for my bestie."

We pull apart. And look to Luke and Julie, their conversation having ended. There's a honk and Julie turns to the door.

"That's my dad," she sighs. "Is Victoria still picking you up, Lia?"

"Yeah," I nod. "We'll see you there, yeah?"

She nods before looking at the guys. She gives them a "thank you" smile before walking toward the car.

"Well, isn't this all very heartwarming," A strong, angelic voice chimes from behind us. I jump and turn around. A tall, very handsome man in a velvet suit is sitting on Julie's piano. Alex and Reggie quickly step in front of me. I can feel Luke's arm wrap around me, pulling me behind him.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

I peer over Luke's shoulder. When I see the man smile, a shiver of fear sets over me.

A.N.

Hi.

I've been waiting for thisssssss!

Hehe.

-Redd

💀✌🦋😘❄😳🐍😎🏳️‍🌈🤠🥁

(EDIT: I have the next two-ish chapters already written so if you want them rn lmk)