9. Solace and Comfort

(A/N: A GIYUU-IN-YOUR-ROOM photo above. :3)

A loud shout jolted you awake.

"Y/N!"

It was still night, the moonlight sneaking into your room through the uncurtained window.

In the serenade of the black sky, the stars were a choir; they were lights that sung in infinite patterns. Crickets hum in the distance and nightingales call for each other. 

From your futon floor mattress, you slowly gazed around your room. No one was here.

The last thing you remembered was going back home with Muzan, and then instantly hitting the hay when you returned to your bed.

Sleepily mumbling some curses under your breath, you were about to fall back into your pillow until you heard your name again.

"Y/N!" the deep voice yelled, this time with more urgency and concern. Then, there was one quiet knock on your room's sliding door followed by several louder ones.

You furrowed your eyebrows when you realized where the sounds were coming from, and you wondered who would be looking for you in the wee hours of the night. Still groggy, you made your way to the entrance.

Lazily pushing the door open, you were ready to reprimand the intruder. Your mouth had even parted a bit, your brows lowered.

But you stopped when your eyes met the most beautiful blue eyes you know.

Giyuu Tomioka.

Immediately, your heart raced, your jaw slacked, your body froze. 

You had not expected him.

Wasn't he supposed to be on a mission? What was he doing here? 

Your mother would kill you both if she opened her door from down the hall to see the two of you, gawking at each other.

On top of that, your hair was frazzled and bushy, and your cheeks had been pinkened by the nip in the evening's cold air. Dark circles ringed the undersides of your eyes.

You looked dead.

Yet here, the man of your dreams stood in front of you even as you appeared like a torn-up voodoo doll.

Your embarrassment was quickly pushed aside when you noticed that something was off about the demon slayer:

He was on the verge of tears...

You've never seen Giyuu like this before.

Normally, the boy stood impassive and vigilant like the red-clad guards at Buckingham Palace, stoic faces staring ahead. Like the terracotta statues in Xi'an, battle-hardened hands poised for action.

The boy whose emotions overtook his face...this was not Giyuu you knew.

Eyebrows knitted, you placed a hand on the boy's left cheek and used your thumb to stroke his face.

"Giy—"

"You're safe," the boy breathed.

He felt comfort when he saw you at the doorway. Sure, your hair was wrapped into a tangled mess above your head and your eyes were puffy from the sudden awakening.

But Giyuu thought you looked stunning, as always.

To him, you were like a drop of morning dew at sunrise.

Gentle. Serene.

Giyuu's anxious face immediately softened, his ocean blue eyes welling with relief as he gently placed a rough hand on top of your soft one.