35. King of Demons

A demon husband.

The silence was deafening, sitting in the air like a dark cloud as your brain slowly processed what Douma just told you.

While disbelief pounded through you, your heart dropped to the deep depths of the earth and your mouth went dry with shock.

Hearing the word "demon" attached to the word "husband" was the last thing you could have imagined.

Yet, you would like to say this fact shouldn't be surprising.

Until now, all the recent data that had been thrown at you were a big mishmash of informational scraps, so jumbled up that you could barely paste anything together to see a full picture.

But, Muzan Kibutsuji's a demon.

And that was the last piece of the puzzle.

That was the glue that tied all the other scrambled bits together: how Muzan could subdue your attackers, why Giyuu's suddenly worried about the blue spider lily, why your husband was married to you.

In hindsight, there were so many blatantly obvious signs that had always suggested Muzan as someone...different.

Signs like the slits of his pupils, the magical amber of his eyes, the paleness of his skin.

They're everything that Giyuu had warned you about before, yet you were too stupid to see past the blaring signals that were masked behind Muzan's ethereal perfection.

Denial still lingered in your thoughts.

"H-How do you even know?" you whispered, questioning the validity of Douma's revelation. "How are you sure that Muzan's a demon?"

The Upper Moon Two laced his fingers together, creating a surface to rest his chin.

"Because I haven't told you everything," he mused. "There's more."

There's. More?

No, no, no.

You were sure that you couldn't take any more, but you were also aching to know.

Rather than verbally fighting back, you watched Douma recline in his seat and point upwards.

"Your husband is my boss," he explained. "He's the demon lord, the CEO."

Breath catching in your throat once again, you stared at the Upper Moon's smirk and waited for him to declare the punchline of the joke.

Just kidding, Douma would say, an echo of his carefree and flirty personality. You're so gullible, babydoll!

Except, he didn't say that.

The blonde's multi-hued eyes never shifted from its elated glow as he observed you drinking from the fire hose, absorbing all the information you had just been given.

"So, you're serious," you breathed.

The realization that you had spent so much time with the demon mastermind who not only killed your ancestor, but also hunted humans down like animals...

That sent shivers wracking up your spine.

You could only imagine what Muzan would do if the two of you were left alone for-

Wait.

He already had his hands on you.

He already had his hands in you.

Muzan Kibutsuji had himself in you.

That was when you remembered your husband's words from your honeymoon.