55. Silent Promises

"Let me give Y/N my blood."

Muzan's bold request earned frozen and bewildered expressions from both you and Giyuu: widened eyes, slacked jaws, brows so perfectly creased together.

"Muzan-sama," you managed to say, words even more hoarse and scratchy than before. "What are you—"

"What are you talking about?" Giyuu hissed lowly, interrupting you as his anger erupted in his tone.

While the hot lava in his voice was uncontrollable and unmanageable, his face showed something that lied beyond the rage or sadness you were familiar with.

Instead, there was nothing. Nothing but pure agony.

Giyuu's eyes were half-hysterical, half-crazed.

He didn't glance down at you, his stare focused on Muzan with a tortured look as though the demon had stabbed him deep in his chest.

That might just very well be the case, given how much Giyuu valued you in his heart.

His hands stiffened, instinctively pulling you closer to his side.

"You want to turn your human wife into," a slight pause, "a demon?"

The absolute disgust Giyuu portrayed in that last word sat heavy in the room.

For him, learning that Muzan Kibutsuji was your husband was already painful enough.

Yet hearing the demon king's outrageous demand made all other troubles seem like specks of dust amid a heap of dirt.

None of it made sense.

"No," Giyuu asserted. "Don't even try, or I'll take Y/N back."

"Listen, demon slayer," Muzan started.

Beckoning to the younger, now was your husband's turn to falter.

The mischief that was so indispensable in his personality relinquished while his head slumped against your shoulder.

Patting his raven-colored locks, you strangely felt your heart sink along with his.

Then, he sighed against you.

There was one thing that Giyuu still didn't know.

"Y/N's going to die."

A loaded silence followed the harrowing line.

Then, your husband continued. "Our baby's hurting her."

Even your own hands fell onto your lap again as the reminder slapped you like a biting winter gust.

In the blissful moments you shared with Muzan and Giyuu, you nearly forgot that a countdown clock was essentially printed on your forehead.

No one spoke further.

After a moment, you realized everyone was waiting for you to say something.

Except, you didn't want to.

Unable to stand your stillness any longer, Giyuu leaned over.

He barely glanced over at Muzan because you were now the only thing he could think about.

He reached for both your hands, wrapping his hands that felt so hot against your icy, fragile fingers.

He sought desperately for denial.

"You just told me the baby made you a little sick, right?" Giyuu recalled, worry so obvious in his eyes. "Isn't that all?"

No, that wasn't all.