48. Past and Present

Muzan might just kill you?

Again?

What—? What was that supposed to mean?

As your mind frantically computed combinations and permutations for potential answers, you subconsciously gulped.

"So," you began, "are you going to eat me now or something?"

There was a long pause as your husband froze again, staring after you with a tortured expression fixed on his features.

He silently measured the fear in your face, the moisture in your eyes.

Just like you could see the apprehension in his gaze, he could see it in yours.

"I'm not really the one who would hurt you," he clarified, pushing off the wall to approach you.

Muzan sat across from your figure, his legs crossed in front of him, the two of you facing each other like amateur gamblers in a game of poker.

Your husband's eyes drifted down the side of your torso to your stomach, where his gaze—a mix of awe and sadness—lingered.

His fingers twitched ever so slightly before they reached out for you, heading directly to the spot that he'd zeroed in.

At the first touch, all oxygen escaped and whooshed out of you.

You were still left breathless as Muzan gently brushed the small but nonetheless growing bump, tracing the curve through the silk of your robe.

"Who would hurt you, though, would be this kid over there."

The sudden, bold statement caught you by surprise.

You gulped. "Pardon?"

You didn't understand.

Why did your husband look so upset? 

Why did he act like he'd lived through this situation before?

Wasn't he the one who had first wished out loud for sharing little children with you?

The said man's face stiffened into stone, lids shuttering his pupils into blankness.

There was no flash of emotion as he just shut down like you'd pulled the power cord of his machine.

So, you gently coaxed, "Can you tell me?"

Both of you had been through some crazy moments during your marriage. Yet, while you were willing to share almost everything, your husband was still hesitating.

As a result, you still didn't truly know where Muzan came from, what his thousand years of memories held.

To your relief, the demon lord followed along with your plea.

"I've lost someone I really liked once, someone who you remind me quite a bit of," he pointed out, eyes still closed. "Don't laugh."

His stern instruction made you jolt in your seat.

Leaning forward, you watched closely for the emotions playing across Muzan's face.

"I'm not laughing, though."

Pupils still hidden beneath his heavy eyelids, Muzan used the quick but silent pause as the only indication you were telling the truth.

"Okay, but I thought you would laugh," he explained, head slipping backward, "because I'm a demon who had helplessly grown attached to a human."

Hearing this, a slight ache grew in your chest.

From the soft and nostalgic waves in his voice, you knew what every helpless romantic like you would know: Muzan had been in love.