16. Red-Handed

"I said, what are you doing with my daughter?"

Your mother's sharp voice pierced through the night's stillness and stung like sharp needles pricking at your skin.

The older woman stood at your doorway, gray sleeping robe draped on her short stature. Her dark eyes narrowed in suspicion as her long, thin arms carefully crossed in front of her chest.

Even without eye contact, you could tell that your mother was beyond angry. She was disgusted and outraged.

You couldn't blame her.

The scene looked so wrong.

Here you were, a married woman. Yet, your husband was not with you.

Instead, Giyuu was propped up on top of you.

Your faces and bodies mere millimeters apart, your wrists and ankles pinned by the boy's hands and feet, your legs slightly parted in a suggestive, provocative manner.

Any person with half a brain cell would get the wrong idea.

Giyuu immediately rolled off of you, folding his feet underneath him as he sat.

His gaze dared not to meet the older woman's, and he instead stared at the wooden floorboards in front of him. His lips were pursed into a tight, straight line as he reverted to his quiet self.

The Water Pillar, you knew, was not scared. Even in the face of death, Giyuu would not be afraid.

Rather, it was shame.

The shame of being caught. The shame of visiting a married woman in the night. The shame of being found with someone whom he was forbidden to see. The shame of caring for someone whom he was not meant to be with.

Giyuu, of course, was not the only victim of the humiliation. You hung your head too as you sat up, so embarrassed that your mind ran in endless circles.

Your mother knew about the dirty work of Demon Slayers, and she wanted you to have nothing to do with them, even if one of them was your childhood friend. Although you and Giyuu have been secretly meeting up on various nights for years, you've never been caught.

Until now.

You cautiously glanced at Giyuu, whose dark, messy locks covered his hardened face.

You quietly wished for the boy to turn to you.

Just a little bit.

Just so that you can see his familiar face again. The face that brought calm and peace. The face that you love and know.

Please.

Let me see you one more time.

But Giyuu remained as still as Michelangelo's marble statues.

Disappointed, you gave up and instead turned your attention to your scowling mother.

Should you admit that you and Giyuu have been visiting each other? Should you acknowledge that you've been defying your mother's orders for over three years? Or should you instead avoid the elephant of the room?

You picked the latter option.

"Mother, I thought you were asleep," you quietly chimed, breaking the loud silence that hung in the night air.

"How could I sleep when all I hear is you giggling like some teenage girl," the lady barked back as she encroached your room.

Her slippers clicked against the floor as she walked towards you. "You're an adult, my daughter. And you're married."