38. Mrs. Kibutsuji

Muzan glanced obviously at your flat, clearly not swollen stomach.

He then picked up the fallen chopsticks, walking across his room against the nighttime backdrop as he repeated his question.

"What baby?" he asked again as he settled next to you with utensils and freshly rolled sushi.

Although he gestured you to eat, your hands first flew to your empty abdomen, and you sighed with relief.

Even as you sat up from his mattress and wiped away your stubborn tears, the lucid dream continued to befuddle your thoughts and the ensuing ache lingered in your heart.

You remembered the lack of strength that riddled your body, the small movements that emerged from within, the husband that lovingly held your hand.

But, that very husband's one of them.

One of those monsters that tore open and indulged in their human prey.

Little did Muzan know about your recent discoveries, although of course, here you were again, alone with the master of demons himself.

No matter how hard you tried to push aside the panic, your fear only heightened.

One wrong word, and you would be as good as dead (human) meat.

Trying to be as casual as possible, you reached over to pluck and eat several tuna roll pieces from Muzan's serving tray.

"Did I say something? Something about babies?" you asked with wide eyes before patting at your belly. "No babies here!"

While the man shrugged in response, the slight frown on his face reflected just how much he didn't believe your innocece.

Based on his past actions, you were also a little surprised by how quickly Muzan seemed to drop the baby topic as though he didn't want to think about that.

He, instead, silently stared off to the side. 

His gaze was reflective and somewhat mournful as he mentally flipped through the pages of his thousand years of life, and you could only wonder what the man was thinking about.

Unaccustomed to your husband's stillness, you stared uncomfortably at your meal.

"This is really good, by the way," you remarked on the sushi to break the silence.

As you finished the rest of the platter, you realized that Muzan had not eaten.

Then, you suddenly got curious. A little too curious.

"I wonder if human flesh also tastes this good, don't you think?"

Completely caught off guard, Muzan furrowed his brows at your sudden question.

"Huh?" he blurted, face scrunched up as question marks popped from the sides of his head.

Although it was hard to discern exactly how he felt about your slight provocation, there was an amalgam of confusion, worry, and surprise that danced in his maroon eyes.

Did you push things a little too far?

Sweat bead forming quickly at your temple, you immediately waved your hands in front of you.

"Haha," you chuckled, voice trying to hide your embarrassment and nervousness. "I'm just joking."

You're not joking.

"That was just an idle thought," you explained between skittish giggles, words falling out of your mouth faster than you could forcefully shove them back in. "I was just curious, but not that you would know what human meat would taste like, right?"