33. Stranger Danger

Staring at Giyuu, questions popped in your head, one after another.

When did you and my mother start talking? Why is my mother not screaming at you? What have you been telling her? Why are you here now?

You also wondered if Giyuu was still upset after your kiss, but judging from the worried frown on his face, you figured that you could clear things up on a later date.

After you filtered through the thoughts that flew through your mind, you simplified them down to one question.

"Why am I your next mission?"

Giyuu did not bother to bring down the hand that pointed at you.

The jutting edges of his stance were a glaring contrast to the softness in his voice. "You're in danger."

"Huh?" you responded.

That was the only thing that emerged out of you, the only word that could accurately capture your confused response in an already confusing situation.

The demon slayer turned to the woman by his shoulder. "How did your family get your hands on the lilies?"

Your mother's gaze shifted to tonight's spotlight, her eyes displaying her mental trip back to the past.

"The lilies are have been passed down for generations," she replied. "Not that anyone really knew the link between this and demons until you came, Giyuu-kun."

Giyuu-kun.

You didn't remember the last time your mother had spoken to the demon slayer with this much acknowledgment and respect.

"We're worried," Giyuu explained, the sheer anxiety in his tone speaking louder than his words. "Oyakata-sama, the Pillars...ever since Shinobu noted your lingering demon smell, every since we understood the connections between you and the demon king, we've been worried about you."

He glanced at your mother before shifting his gaze back to you. "Both of you are not safe, and this," he nodded to the flower, "needs to go."

You turned to the spider lilies, noticing the slight manner their unopened buds swayed from an incoming breeze.

Meanwhile, Giyuu finally lowered his arm, walking over to the plant that you had been quietly staring down.

"Tomorrow," Giyuu started, draping the cloth back over the plant. "Tomorrow night, right after sunset, we'll bring the plants over to the Butterfly Estate. Shinobu's helpers can protect it."

So, you and your mother agreed.

The next evening, you prepared the blue spider lilies in your room. You carefully tucked the flowerpot in a large basket, hiding the container under several layers and--

Crash.

The loud, sudden boom from the kitchen echoed through the mansion, surprising you in your room.

Raising an eyebrow, you carried the spider lily's basket, gently tucking the container into the depths of your closet before you dashed into the halls.

Given nightfall, the corridors were dark, darker than usual.

And with the housemaids gone for the day, the halls were also a little quieter than you would like.

You had to squint hard in order to adjust your vision to the poorly lit area.

Running over to Muzan's room, you knocked on the bamboo door.

Were you nervous? Heck yeah, you had not spoken with your husband since you had returned from your honeymoon.