21. Secret Meetings

Giyuu waited by the willow tree, just as he had promised in his note.

Hidden behind the branches' evening shadows, the Water Pillar leaned against the tree trunk with his eyes closed and arms crossed as if he had been standing there for a long time.

Although your footsteps were light, the Water Pillar already detected you when you were many feet away, spoiling your plans to surprise him.

His eyelids fluttered open, revealing his wonderfully blue orbs that languidly scanned you, head to toe.

You froze in your tracks, hands nervously clasped in front of you. Cautiously returning his gaze, you waited for the boy to speak first.

When he didn't, you broke the silence for him.

"I didn't think that I would see you again, Giyuu."

Tears pricked at your eyes, threatening to fall before you willed yourself to not cry.

You couldn't break down now. You had to be stronger.

Giyuu had already been worried sick about you, and you couldn't concern him any further.

Straightening up, the Water Pillar dusted dirt off the checkered side of his haori before doing the same to the pink portion as well.

Turning to you, Giyuu appeared to attempt a small smile before his lips faltered.

Tonight, he appeared a little more...sad...than usual.

You wondered if the other Hashiras had been bullying Giyuu again.

"How did you get out of the house?" the Water Pillar asked, snapping you out of your thoughts.

Sniffling back the last of your mini-breakdown, you replied, "I left when everyone fell asleep."

Everything about this little meeting with Giyuu was risky, though.

What if he was caught with you again?

Your mother would surely throw a tantrum that would wake the entirety of Japan.

Besides Shinobu, your mother absolutely despised demon slayers and would not hesitate to call the Tokyo Police to arrest them (if the police could even catch up to the demon slayers, that is).

"Why weren't you in your room when I visited?" Giyuu continued.

Even with his dignity again at stake, Giyuu had visited your room the other night. The night you ran away from home.

And when he noticed that you were not there, he secretly slipped a carefully crafted note for you.

You were always home, so Giyuu had—of course—wondered where you were.

"My husband came back from his trip, and I was in his room," you answered.

Giyuu immediately raised a surprised yet curious brow. "Did...you—"

You tilted your head when the boy did not finish his question.

"Did I...?" you repeated, still confused.

When you suddenly understood what Giyuu was suggesting, you frantically waved your hands while your face flushed with embarrassment.

"No, no, no! D-Don't get the wrong idea! My husband and I...We didn't do anything."

"Oh," Giyuu hummed, not bothering to prod you with further questions.

Besides, it wasn't worth his time.

You were already here, and that was all that the Water Pillar needed.

He had more important things that he wanted to do in the little time he had with you.

Giyuu approached you in a series of quick steps, his figure eventually looming over yours. The boy then turned around and crouched in front of you.

Staring at his back, you raised a brow when he remained quiet.

"What—?"

Giyuu tapped his left shoulder. "Get on."

You blankly stared back at the boy.

Giyuu wanted you to piggyback him?

He is strong of course, but goodness, there was absolutely no way—

"Ah!" you screamed when your body was swept off the floor.

The Water Pillar had lifted you with ease as though you weighed no more than a small child. He carried you bridal style, his arms carefully wrapped around your waist and your legs.

You desperately tried to re-anchor your feet to the grass or at least brush your fingertips against the ground, but you were already well above the floor.

Your face immediately swiveled in his direction, only for you to bump your nose into his firm shoulder.

"Ow," you mumbled, fingers rubbing the pained area.

When your gaze shifted from your aching nose to the boy's face, your cheeks heated up.

Giyuu had been silently staring back.

How long had he been looking at you?

You don't know.

And you hated (but also loved) how your chest fluttered the slightest.

"You should put me down," you finally suggested, breaking the awkward silence that surrounded the two of you.

He shrugged before settling his gaze on your eyes. "No."

"No?" you quietly echoed, perplexed. 

Since he cared so deeply about you, the Water Pillar was not the type to deny even your most outrageous requests.

Yet, today, Giyuu refused your plea without hesitation.

Giyuu parted his lips. "I want to show you something, just in case."

"Just in case?" you repeated. Your brows came together, creating a puzzled look on your face.

You would have teased the Water Pillar, calling him out for being vague when he didn't have to be.

However, you immediately noticed the serious aura that Giyuu emitted as he spoke.

"Just in case I never get a chance to do this again."

Good luck with exams for school in the coming weeks!

And if you already started your summer break, you're so lucky :,)