Chapter 17

MR. PATRY'S POV:

Today was a very auspicious day for Harold, so I have been trying to maintain the Academy myself. I checked on him nearly two hours before dinner and he was in no better condition than he was six months ago. I had told him to go home, to just take the day off but he assured me that it would only make his condition worse. He was mourning in a way that I cannot understand, nor that I want to. When I popped in his office, he was sitting in the dark with a glass of whiskey balanced steadily on the side of his armchair. Barely speaking a word, he remained perfectly still despite my presence...there was little indication  that he would move from that position unless to refill his drink.

____________________________________________

NAOMI'S POV:

Standing there pointlessly, I stared down at the hanger and replayed the words consistently in my head...as if somehow it would all become clear to me. I could see a faint light creeping from below the door, so there was almost a definite chance he was inside. Contemplating on knocking, I had an off feeling of apprehension circulating in my mind. Well, more than usual of course.

He definitely told me to come tonight which means he should be expecting me...did something happen?

"Naomi." Mr. Patry called out from the far end of the hallway, almost as if he was rushing to stop me. "Uh, Mr. Davis shouldn't be disturbed today."

I glanced back to the hanger, trying to formulate every thing I knew about Mr. Davis into a cohesive explanation.

"Well, yesterday he told me to come to his office around this time." I pointed to his door.

"Are you sure he said today?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Yes sir, we are supposed to do out book club tonight." I crossed my arms over my novel.

Hesitant, he strayed his eyes from mine and focused them on Mr. Davis' office door. As if he could suddenly see right through it. Mr. Patry usually is never this uncertain about everything and, not surprisingly, this made me even more desperate to get inside.

"Well, if he said to come today...then I guess you best go." He motioned me to the side before knocking on the door himself.

The Administrators never contradicted one another, they always believed that consistency and respect were the best principles to help the students develop.

"Harold?" He placed his right foot slightly inside the door and leaned forward. "Naomi is here to see you. Are you okay to..." He stopped instantly, realizing his mistake.

Another thing the Administrators always attempted to do was remain composed and strong in front of the students. I guess it was a discipline tactic for the Academy.

"Do you want to see her now? Or should I tell her to come back tomorrow?"

I glanced my head around Mr. Patry's figure and saw Mr. Davis' sitting at a small table at the core of a closet I had never seen opened before. My curiosity was heightened when I saw him rumble something from the table to the inside of his shirt pocket. He then ran his hands over his face before standing, pushing his chair in neatly, and walking towards his desk.

"Tell her to come inside, thank you Jim."

"Go ahead." Mr. Patry gave me a little scoot inside before closing the door behind him.

"Is something wrong Naomi?" His voice was shaky and I could tell he was flustered by his messy hair and the paleness of his complexion.

He left the closet door open and my eyes could not help but pry, he did not seem to notice my immediate shift of attention. Scarcely, I could see the back of a picture frame and some silverware and plates through the subtle glow from a lit candle.