Chapter 25

NAOMI'S POV:

The disappointment of not finding even a slightest answer to the many questions I have combined with the overwhelming amount of guilt I had in my chest kept me awake for most of the night. I couldn't stop thinking about why Mr. Davis does so much for me. He is raising me as if he's my dad, takes my wants and passions more seriously than my parents ever have, and he actually dedicates time to spend it with me. From what I hear at the Academy, most student's parents barely even treat them as nicely as what Mr. Davis treats me. Why didn't he just leave me to become a product of the Academy?

Is he hiding something else from me? He felt pretty bad about missing the details during my registration...

Oh and that image of Mr. Davis' wife's body and her unfortunate accident was still fresh in my head, searing a permanent place into my memory. I now know a secret part of Mr. Davis existed, only time will tell whether that stems to me.

"Naomi?" Sarah asked, setting her coffee cup down on the counter, parallel to where I was sitting.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Harry is upstairs getting dressed, he should be down in a few minutes but I can make you breakfast if you'd like." She finished adjusting her coffee to a light brown with creamer.

"Harry?"

"Oh," She smiled and shrugged. "that's just what I call him. Breakfast?"

"I'll have cereal if that's what you're having, please."

She nodded, pulling down a box of cereal and grabbing the milk from the fridge. My stomach was completely upside down and my head was in disarray, but I knew Mr. Davis would become suspicious and start asking questions if I wasn't eating.

"Sure, here you go." She handed me the box and a bowl.

"Thank you."

I noticed my hands were subtly shaking, so I tried to pour everything as quickly as I could before Mr. Davis came down.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Lay it on me." She smiled.

"H-how old is Mr. Davis?"

"He turned thirty-one at the beginning of the year. I'm almost four years older than he."

"Thirty-one? I guess I can see that, but he looks older than that." I said, meaning it in the nicest way I could.

She nodded, resting her hands flat on the counter and leaning forward, she bit her bottom lip and gave me a look that made me feel very naive. "Stress and grief will do that to a person."

Fantastic, that's just what I needed to hear on the morning after committing a betrayal the night before. My guilt remained in my head all night, but now it was boiling in my stomach. I looked back to her, but she looked as remorseful as I did.

"Good morning ladies." Mr. Davis came in with a smile.

"Good morning." I said quietly before shoveling my cereal into my mouth.

"Morning Harry." She took a large swallow of her coffee. "If you give me those envelopes I can mail them on my way to work this morning."

"Perfect, let me grab them." He finished pouring coffee for himself before exiting the room.

"How long until you have to go to work?" I glanced at the clock, noticing that it was almost 8:30 a.m.

"I have to leave within 15 minutes, I stayed late last night so I'm going in a little late this morning." She winked at me.