Chapter 42

NAOMI'S POV:

Something inside of me was screaming, I never wanted to lash out at a person more than I did in this exact moment. I could feel my heart beating at the exact pace of this aggressive pounding in my head. I wasn't sure if going back in there would be a mistake, for both Haylee and I.

How could he just scream at her like that? Haylee is a really good person and she doesn't deserve this.

"No. Absolutely not." Before I knew it, I was marching back up onto their porch and heading for the door when it suddenly opened and her father emerged.

He seemed a little more tamed now, but his worrisome demeanor was obviously the result of nervousness rather than guilt. God forbid a random stranger perceive him as ill-tempered.

"Naomi, right?" Wiping his hands on his chest, he asked with a smile.

"Yes sir." I managed to get out.

Despite that sudden burst of courage, I found myself speaking lowly like a mouse.

"I just want you to know that I'm not always as . . . standoffish. And that basically means. . . ."

Rude and belligerent?

"Hostile or aggressive." I clarified after his hesitation. "I know what it means."

"I was going to say cold but fair." He narrowed his eyes in distain. "Look, you're the first friend Haylee has actually brought home and I don't want to do anything to ruin that. I know she needs friend because they help her deal with the stress of school."

It's amazing how this grown adult, her father at that, could stand here completely oblivious to the fact that Haylee's stress is coming, not from school, but from him.

"But don't you dare presume to tell me you know how to raise a child better than I do." His bitterness caused a chill down my spine.

. . . And then everything came out. It came out so fast and randomly, almost like word-vomit.

"But the only reason why she is stressed out so much and why she can't focus is because of you and, unfortunately, nothing that I can do can take that away from her." My voice broke a little from the adrenaline pounding in my head. "I can't be her stress reliever. You're supposed to do that, I mean you are her dad for Christs' sake!"

Folding his arms across his chest, he took a step forward as he peered down at me. "What goes on in my house is none of your business."

"I think it is when you do it right in front of me! You involved me by doing it!" I could feel my face getting hot, a bitterness that I thought long gone was finally here. . .

Who knows what it'll do.

"I suggest you don't raise your voice to me!" He hollered back.

"Or what? You'll hit me in the face until I cry?!"

Shaking his head, he motioned toward the front gate. "That's it. I'm walking you home and I'm going to have a long talk with your parents about this."

Letting a heavy sigh slip through my nostrils, a reaction that bothered him, I started walking to the left, internally hoping that this would be a very quick walk. Since he didn't know where I lived, I had to take the lead and trust me, I was walking much faster than normal.

MR. DAVIS'S POV:

I glanced at my watch, eagerly waiting for Naomi to come home. My heart was hoping she'd come inside with a big smile on her face and in a cheery mood. I know I haven't been easy on her lately, especially after her grade in Geometry class but she's doing a lot better. I just hope some time at a friends house will help ease her transition in the new school year . . . I can only imagine what a change this is for her.