Chapter 34

Hi guys, this is a very long chapter. About double the length I usually post for updates, this is because I ran out of sick days and had to go into work today but would much rather write than do paperwork. I hope you all are doing well! Happy reading! ~ K.A.

NAOMI'S POV:

*Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Bzzzt! *

The sun was beaming through my blinds, causing me to stir from my peaceful sleep. I had always been a morning person, but it was hard for me to fall asleep last night because I knew that when I'd awake, I'd owe an explanation to the Administrators. Now my body is regretting the blissful snooze that left me even more sleepy.

Opening my eyes, I could hear birds chirping outside my window. Probably enjoying their breakfast by now. It was nearly seven-thirty and being summoned to Mr. Davis' office 'first thing in the morning' meant I had to be bright-eyed, and bushy tailed in his presence at eight. But the crispness of the autumn day was causing me to appreciate my bed more than usual.

What am I going to do? Do I tell Mr. Davis the truth or continue denying? Last night, I played out both scenarios in my head but neither ended well. If I told, I'd face the risk of being exposed and then having to deal with Ryan's retaliation. Not to mention the same from other students, since most of them already assume I run to the Administrators any time I could. I've lost so many friends after the adoption...

If I continued denying, then I'd probably be subjected to another spanking from Mr. Davis, not to mention enduring his disappointment, which was somehow just as unpleasant as his punishments. I drew the tips of my fingers along the opening of my pillowcase, taking comfort in its coldness but not being able to mask my apprehension.

*Bzzzt! Bzzzt! Bzzzt! *

"Alright, alright, I hear you." I unplugged my alarm clock, forcing myself to push my comforter off my body to begin getting dressed.

Putting on my uniform, I tried splashing some cold water on my face to wake me up but it did little to settle me. The 'fight' response had been engulfed by my fear and my tiredness was causing my brain to react frantically; not being able to process anything around me or move in an orderly fashion. I even put my shirt on backwards.

Brushing the knots from my hair, I tilted my head to the side to gather it but then saw a little piece of paper sitting just an inch from the bottom of my door.

Everything will be alright; I'll take care of it.

The note was block crypted, though I was certain it came from the one person who would rather go toe-to-toe with Ryan in my place. Jasper.

"What the hell are you up to?"

_____________________________________________________

JESS' POV:

I was stunned to hear that my parents have decided to sell the house and move the entire family to Ohio. They had been talking about moving for the last year, but I didn't think it would be out of state. That means I'll be out of here in two days. They wanted me to spend my last few weeks at home to say goodbye to house and other family in the area. But I think it's really because they want help packing.

I keep replaying the idea in my head, but somehow it still doesn't feel real despite the information coming directly from my mom and being confirmed by Mr. Patry. He woke me at six this morning to answer the phone call, which was really annoying. Afterwards, he brought me to his office and began discussing my leave; how to pack, what belongings I need to return, the room inspection, etc. And then he told me to call my parents as soon as possible and begin planning, but there's someone who I need to talk to first.