Chapter 31

*Hello, hello! Chapter 32 will be posted by Wednesday! I will take a short hiatus and will resume posting, beginning with a new chapter in There'll Be Storms by June 6th. 

I hope you're all doing well! ~ K.A.

NAOMI'S POV: 

"Good morning." Mr. Davis yawned, walking sleepily into the kitchen. 

I set my alarm clock for an hour earlier than usual. On most days, breakfast is already made when I wake up, but this morning I wanted to make it for him. Good thing too, he looks like he had a rough night. Strange...we both went to bed in high spirits after eating the best chicken noodle soup I ever had. 

Who knew we'd make a good team?

"Good morning." I said, pouring him a cup of coffee. "How do you like your coffee?" 

"Huh?" He yawned again, this time wiping his eyes and glancing to find where I was standing. 

"How do you like your coffee?" I smile, finding humor in his tiredness. "Sugar? Creamer or milk? How about...?" 

"Woah, woah, woah," He waved his hands to quiet me. "Way too many questions this early, give me a chance to wake up." Teasing, I saw a smirk appear.

"Oh my." I rolled my eyes.

"Cream with sugar, three teaspoons." He held up three fingers, making sure I knew what he said since he yawned. Again.

"Cream and three teaspoons." I said to myself, splashing the creamer and adding the sugar before passing the cup over to him.

"Thank you." He took a drink.

"Did you sleep okay? You look really tired." I took a sip of my orange juice.

"Fine, I'm fine." He brushed his hair out of his eyes. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"It's already made, sit down and I'll bring you a plate."

I grabbed a dish from the cabinet and folded the omelet I made just a few minutes ago. Leaving it in the oven to keep warm, I sprinkled some extra seasoning on top before bringing it over to him. 

Stretching his arms above his head, he sat down uneasily at the island. Curiously looking around to see what I made. "You made breakfast?"

"Yes sir, and I promise I'll clean the mess after."

"What did you...you made an omelet?" There was a hint of astonishment in his voice. "Look at you go."

My mom taught me how to make these. I never left her side in the kitchen unless she threw me out." I smiled.

He smiled back, "Thank you, but I should be the one taking care of you."

"But that doesn't mean I can't help." Handing him a fork, he smiled and nodded his head. "This will be the best omelet you've ever had." I assured him, watching as he cut off the corner and scooped it immediately into his mouth

There was some reprisal there, as if he wanted to deny that the omelet was made by my hands. 

"It's the second best omelet I've had." He teased. "I'll have to show you how to make the best..."

"You're full of it. This is the best." 

Laughing, he took another bite. "That's really good, what did you put in this? Tarragon?"

"Can't tell you that." I shook my head. "All I can say is eggs, peppers and onions, and that's it."

He gave me a snide look, "Fine. Then from now on, you're on breakfast duty. But only on weekends."