Chapter 27

JASPER'S POV:

"I sent over a package, that should be enough school supplies to get you through..."

"The entire year?" I interjected.

He basically planted a sign on me. Tell me how this looks: A student at Braxton, where traditionally enrollment is monthly, has been sent a 'care' package from home containing school supplies so numerous that its contents are enough for two semesters. Twelve notebooks, nearly one-hundred pencils, three packs of pens, a year-subscription library card...What does that tell you? What do you think this means?

"Well, I wanted to make sure you don't run out of anything." He responded defensively.

"Oh sure, just like you to err on the side of caution."

He has absolutely no intention of bringing me home during the school year. I'm going to have to spend my entire sophomore year in this prison.

"Jasper, we've decided..."

"We? Who's we?"

"Aunt Vera and I." He answered plainly.

Oh God, how disturbing. They've officially become we.

"Gross."

"Let's try to be mature here." He scolded. "We do not think it would be good for you academically to transition environments mid-semester..." You could almost hear a touch of guilt behind his voice, but I could see past that in a heartbeat.

"It's a fifteen-minute drive." I balled my fists. "We could do it over a weekend or even fall break."

"You're underestimating the move." He offered as a laughable defense.

"Oh, you're right, yeah," I smiled. "I forgot how much stuff I have in my room since I practically live here now!"

"If you're going to speak to me with that much disrespect then I may as well hang up!" He shouted.

"Allow me!" I slammed the phone on the receiver.

Keep it together, don't lose it now. My mind was full of rage, and I could tell I wore a look of complete dissatisfaction, there was a pounding bitterness inside of me that longer to be released. But I had a meeting with Naomi and Mr. Davis in a half-hour. I can't jeopardize that, Naomi will be the only thing keeping me sane during the school year.

Throwing my back against the wall, I squatted down on the ground and waited for the gloomy intensity burning inside of me to dissipate.

_________________________________________________________

NAOMI'S POV:

Everything was so surreal; it was as if I were arriving at the Academy for the first time again. My heart was pounding before we even pulled into the drive-way, I could feel my nerves shot all the way down to my thighs. Mr. Davis and I had made some good progress, or at least I think so, this weekend but now it feels as if we're starting all over again. It's remarkable how the symbolism of a building can influence your every thought and emotion.

I was feeling peaky, the same butterflies had been stirring around in my stomach all morning and the lingering dark surprise had overcome my consciousness as soon as we pulled into Mr. Davis' designated parking spot. It clouded any progress I've made over the last eight months.

I was beginning to feel everything at once as I stepped inside the brick-enclosed building. My trip away this weekend, though painful to say the least, gave me a little taste of freedom and it was beginning to torment me. Now I can understand Jasper's bitterness around the holidays.