Part 4

After Lilly left I had taken a quick shower. I was just about to grab some water and crash when my phone buzzed multiple times. I checked my phone. 7 new messages 6 from Jake and 1 from George. I opened George's message first.

George: Hey you ok?

Thank God he hadn't asked if I had reached or something. I quickly responded.

Me: Yes im good. Everything is fine. Cant text now ... busy. Will text you later.

I prayed that George didn't respond with anything remotely pointing to me being out of town.

George: Ok

I heaved a sigh of relief.

Ok now the dreadful moment. Jake's messages. I mentally prepared myself to explain or justify my decision to him.

Jake: Hey Jade.

Jake: I apologize I couldn't respond to you yesterday.

Jake: I was helping Lilly track Richy's phone.

Jake: His phone was turned off and also his last location was no help either.

Jake: I saw your call with him. It looks bad.

Jake: Im sorry you had to see that. Are you ok?

Relief washed over me. So he did not know. But immediately the relief was replaced by guilt. How concerned he was about me eventhough I had betrayed his trust. I quickly responded.

Me: Hi Jake. Yes it was really bad. I am fine I think. I am just worried about Richy.

Jake: I understand.

Me: Do you think Richy is fine?

I saw him type for a long time and then finally..

Jake: We have to believe that he is fine Jade and focus on finding him. That is probably what is best.

I almost managed a smile. This was exactly what I had told Jessy and the others. I was about to text him back when he sent another message.

Jake: Wanna talk about it?

I braced myself. Telling Jake was the best thing I could do.

Jade: Sure

I was continuously typing the detailed encounter with Richy and my thoughts on it when my phone rang. Jake calling.......

I blinked my eyes multiple times to be sure of it. Yes he was calling. He had never called before. I mean except in the beginning which had scared me. This was before we knew each other well. I clicked on the answer button.

Me: Hello?

Jake: Hi. Took you sometime to pick up Jade.

The voice. His voice. Minus the disturbance. I could hear him clearly. Like actually him.

Me: Its you. I mean I know its you but without the masking of your voice.

Jake: It was high time don't you think we spoke without hiding anything.

Me: But you called.

Jake: Yeah I really really needed to know if you are fine. Texts tend to lose the sentiment.

Me: I am fine. Better I guess since you called.

Jake: I am glad to hear that.

Me: Thanks Jake.

Jake: Im really sorry about Richy you know? I did not expect that to happen.

Me: Neither did I.

Jake: How are you? Really?

Nows the time Jade. Tell him.

Me: I feel absolutely helpless Jake. And I really feel im making things worse. I should have stopped Richy and the others to not go into the woods. It always felt like a bad idea from the start but I did not push hard enough... I wish I wish I had tried harder....

Jake: Jade listen to me. This is not your fault. It's the attacker's. Blaming yourself will just make you feel worse. You did not want this to happen. It is not in our control. Right now what Richy needs us to do is give everything to find him just the same way Hannah wants us to find her, ok?

I sighed. I knew this. While the burden on my mind had slightly eased, the fact about me being in Duskwood weighed heavily. I couldn't lie to him any longer. He didn't deserve that.

Me: Ok. Jake I need to tell you something.

Jake: Sure what is it?

This was it. Telling Jake that I broke the one promise I had made to him would probably cause him to distrust me forever.

Jake: Hello? Jade are you there?

Me: Yes I am here. I.. don't know how to say this?

Jake: Ok. What is it about?

The knock on the door startled me. It must be Lilly, I thought. I walked towards the door.

Jake: Jade? Are you alright? Can you hear me?

Me: Oh yes. Umm Jake there is someone at my door.... I cant tell you this over call now. Ok? I have to hang up. Bye.

I stopped and disconnected the call before he could say anything. The guilt consumed me. I should have told him but Lilly was at the door. I wanted to tell this to him when I was a bit well collected and did not have his sister pounding at the door. Tears had welled up in my eyes. I brushed it away and continued towards the door. Absentmindedly I opened the door without looking in the spy hole. I saw a hooded figure standing in front of me. I froze. Millions of things went through my mind. Stupid move. How could I think it was Lilly? She had just left. She told me she was going to be back in the evening. How could I open the door without checking? Even if it was Lilly I should have checked. This wasn't my home. This was Duskwood. My friends had been attacked here. One no less than a few hours ago. Jake and I had asserted that maybe the attacker's actual target was me and I had walked right into his trap.

I was hyperventilating staring at the figure in front of me. He was a tall man, well built and as usual a mask covered half his face. The only feature I saw was his piercing eyes. There was no way I could fend off an attack from him. I saw something in his hand but the tears welling up in my eyes blurred my vision. Would he stab me like he did Richy? I wanted to scream but my throat failed me. I had almost turned into a block of ice. So this was it. I did the most stupid thing by unknowingly becoming the prey to this predator.