Part 27

I tossed and turned on the bed. I think the anxiety and nervousness of tomorrow got to me. I sat up on the bed which Richy had graciously offered. I looked at my phone screen. It was very late in the night. I grabbed my phone and silently tip toed across the living room to the front door. I saw Richy was sound asleep on the couch. Poor Richy must have been exhausted. It had been such a long day. I opened the door quietly and stepped out into the front yard. The chilly air made me shiver. Maybe I shouldn't call him this late, but I really wanted to talk to Jake. I called him. As expected, he picked up right as soon as it rang. "Hello Jade, everything alright?" I heard his concerned voice which warmed me. "Everything is fine. I just couldn't sleep, and it seems like you couldn't either." I said. He giggled, "I don't sleep that much you know that. What's bothering you?" I wanted to say everything, but I just said, "About meeting Iris Hanson tomorrow. I don't know what I am going to say to her." "Just stick to talks about what Hannah spoke to her. Knowing that Hannah is missing I think she would be sympathetic enough to tell you. Is that all that's bothering you?" he asked. "Yes, that's all." I lied. "What did Phil do?" he asked. I flinched. Okay maybe this was a bad idea. "You can either tell me or I can check his surveillance?" he said. "Ok I think he was drunk, and he grabbed my wrist out of anger and desperation." I said.

"I'm sorry he did what? And both of you thought it was a good idea to hide it from me?" Jake asked. "Of course not, but I know Phil didn't intend to do that. I think..." I said. "I don't give a crap about his intentions Jade. This makes him unpredictable. I don't think you understand the severity of the situation." Jake said.
"Calm down Jake. I understand well but you need to understand where he is coming from. People think he is a criminal even though he isn't. Anyone would have reacted that way when they think we have something that could get them out of trouble" I said. Silence. "Hello?" I said. "Yeah I'm here. You make sense and no sense at the same time." He muttered. I giggled. "So, how's Richy treating you?" he asked. "Pretty well. He has a side to him that I didn't know about." I said. "Charming." He said dryly. "I didn't expect you to be okay with me staying here." I said. "I didn't say I am okay with it, I just said it makes logical sense." He replied. "Well, you should have said it then." I snapped. "And give Richy the satisfaction that it annoys me that you are staying with him? Not a chance. The man revels in my misery." Jake responded. "Jake about the thing that happened with Richy in the hospital..." I said. "Don't bother about it. I am pretty sure he just reacted according to the first thing that came to his mind." Jake said. I laughed. "Are you working on something?" I asked. "I'm trying to. But I can't focus." Jake said. "Why is that?" I questioned him. "I'm anxious about you being there. Richy is besides the point but you are still in Duskwood. Not a safe place at the moment." He said. I sighed, "I miss you Jake." "Funny you say that as you just saw me a few hours ago." He said. "You know what I mean. I miss being around you." I said. Silence.

"You know it will take me less than an hour to get there right?" Jake said. "I don't think that's wise. I'm seeing you tomorrow anyways hopefully with more news and like you said Duskwood is not a safe place. That applies to you too." I said. I was happy that he was ready to drive here to see me, but I also knew that it was risky. "Fine. I'll let it be and try to get some work done." He said grudgingly. "Thanks for talking to me Jake." I said. "You are welcome Jade. Anytime. And Jade?" he asked. "Yes." I said. "I miss you too." He said and hung up the phone. Somehow, I felt calmer. He had that effect on me. I heard my phone screech with low battery. Groaning I realized that I needed to charge my phone, but then I realized the charging cable was in my car. I went in and grabbed my keys and headed back to the car. When I saw it I couldn't believe it. I stepped back and literally bumped into Richy who had just walked out, "What are you doing out so late?" he asked. He looked at the expression on my face, "Jade what's wrong?" I pointed in the direction of the car. Richy looked at it and gasped. There smack in the middle of the windshield was a bloody symbol of the Raven.

Richy dragged me back to the house. I sat down on the couch thinking about the marking. Richy closed all the blinds and re checked all the door locks. "Did you see anyone?" he asked. "No," I said. I took a few deep breaths as I saw Richy staring at me, "What were you doing out?" "Talking to Jake. I didn't want to disturb you." I said. "I can't believe it happened." He said. "You know what that means right?" I said looking at him. "The kidnapper knows you are here." He said. He sat down next to me on the couch, "This is so bad." "Seems like any other day for me now." I said. He looked at me weirdly, "You seem awfully calm." "I've had people threaten me over the phone and via messages. A raven symbol seems to probably be the most subtle way of being threatened." I said. He leaned back on the couch, "I never thought of that. Are you ok?" "I have heard that question so many times that it sounds like a greeting." I said quietly. I felt his palm on my forehead, "What are you doing?" I asked. "Checking if you have a fever. You seem out of the zone." He said. I narrowed my eyes at him, "I'm fine Richy." He giggled, "Okay I'll take your word for it." "I am wondering how the kidnapper knew I was here?" I asked. "Probably followed you from Aurora. That seems to be the most likely reason. Maybe we should ask Jake to check the surveillance to find out." Richy said. "That seems like a good idea." I said taking my dead phone out to call it. "My phone is out of battery." "Don't worry I'll call," Richy said pulling his phone from the side table.

He called him and placed the phone on speaker. Just as before he picked up after the 1st ring. "Do you know what time it is?" Jake said without a greeting. "Oh, I'm sorry sleeping beauty. Did I awaken your deep slumber? Please accept my humblest apologies." Richy said sarcastically. "What do you want?" Jake snapped. "Ok first of all you are on speaker. Second of all, I know you were on call with Jade not 10 minutes ago and Third of all this is a serious call." Richy said. "What happened?" Jake asked, his tone becoming very serious. "I think I got marked by the man without a face. There was a Raven marking on my car." I said. "What? How is that possible?" Jake asked. "We assume that someone must have followed us from Aurora and then waited till we slept, to make the marking. We were wondering if you could check the surveillance at Aurora." Richy said. "I can do that. Are you sure the person is not around your home Richy?" Jake asked. "Do you think I'm crazy? I checked inside the house and locked all doors and windows, so he isn't inside and that's where we are." Richy said. "Are you ok Jade?" Jake asked.

"She's fine. Maybe a little too fine," Richy said teasingly. I playfully punched him, "I'm fine Jake." I said. "I don't think it's a good idea to see Iris tomorrow." Richy said. "No way we have to meet Iris tomorrow. I don't know when we can go other than tomorrow. I don't think Phil will be very accommodating if we cancel." I argued. "Romeo you are the tie breaker." Richy said. I could hear Jake sigh and said, "We don't cancel. You see Iris Hanson tomorrow Jade, and Richy will stay awake tonight and keep a watch." "Hey.." Richy protested. "If not, I can stop by there as an added measure." Jake continued. "Not needed." Richy snapped back. "Go back to sleep sleeping beauty." "I owe you one boy scout. Take care Jade." Jake said and hung up. "Well, that puts a kink in the night." Richy said groaning.