Part 20

"They can't know that I'm here," I whispered to Richy urgently. "Huh? Now what?" he asked. "Help me Richy." I pleaded. "Ok I guess its time to sell your lie." He said. I did not know what that meant but I found out soon enough. He pulled me and kissed me. I did not have time to react as we just heard the door open. Now I had no way of knowing the expressions on their faces as I had my back to them but what I heard probably said it all. "Hey Rich..." that was Jessy. Only she could have a bubbly tone. "Wow, is this a service the hospital provides? Because when I was here all I got was pudding." Definitely Dan. "Oh I forgot that his girlfriend was here," the cop said. "Girlfriend?" they all murmured in unison. "Guys I think we should give them some privacy." Thomas said. I don't think these guys understood how to speak subtly. I heard the footsteps receding with Dan grumbling about locking the door or something and then I heard the thud of the door closing. We stopped kissing but his arms were still around me. "They left," I whispered. "But they could come back," Richy said mischievously. I narrowed my eyes. Then it just sunk in that I was just passionately making out with him. I blushed. "I think I need to remove myself from an uncomfortable situation." I said. "Oddly, it feels very comforting." He retorted. I pushed him away slightly.

"That was .." he started. "Creative." I interrupted. I really couldn't handle this right now. "Sure lets go with that," he said. I think he realized it was an awkward situation. "I get discharged in a few hours." He said. "Oh that's good. I have to head back." I said. "Wait for a few minutes. I don't suppose you are going to tell me where you are staying." He said. "Yeah I don't think its necessary." I said. "Why don't you want to meet them?" he asked. "To put it delicately, the things our friends go through and do is over whelming to say the least," I said. He laughed, "Yeah I see that. Hannah getting kidnapped, Jessy and me getting attacked and getting stalked, Dan being drunk and slashing tires, getting into accidents, Cleo and Thomas breaking in, Lilly making accusatory videos is really not our gang at its best. I see why that can be overwhelming." He said lightly. "Yeah see you get it," I said "okay I really have to go now. I don't think they are the most patient bunch." I got up and started towards the door. "Ill catch up with you once I get home and get my phone." Richy said. "Sure, take care Richy" I said nervously and walked out. "You too," he said.

I swiftly took the elevator to the ground level and walked out of the hospital and got into the car. I took out my phone and texted Jake: Heading back. I started the car and drove into the street. My mind was reeling. My mind kept drifting towards the kiss. I tried pushing the thought away and focusing on the conversation I had with Richy but that didn't help at all. Helpless I put on the music and tried to distract myself to not think about anything at all. It worked a bit. I felt like a robot. It was almost an hour since I was driving that my phone rang. It was Jessy. I picked the call and put it on speaker.

Me: Hi Jessy.

Jessy: Hi Jade you are on speaker. We are at the hospital with Richy, remember you said you wanted to talk to him?

Richy: Hi Jade.

I gulped and blushed. It was good that I was not in front of them but far away and talking to them over the phone. My face would have been a dead giveaway. I couldn't believe his voice had such an effect on me.

Me: Hi Richy, how are you?

Richy: I am well. Feeling much better.

Dan: Of course, he is. The makeout session probably put new life in him.

I blushed yet again.

Lilly: How would she know?

Thomas: Exactly you guys are the worst story tellers.

Cleo: Richy's girlfriend paid him a visit.

Me: Wow that's news.

Jessy: Surprising news. And he never introduced her to us.

Dan: I think his mouth was occupied.

Richy: Have you guys heard of privacy? You can't say details just like that.

Dan: If you wanted privacy, boy scout you should have locked the door.

Cleo: Well I think the good news is Richy gets discharged today soon.

Me: That's good to hear.

Thomas: But there is also bad news. Richy doesn't remember anything from the attack.

Richy: For now. I think it might come back to me.

Jessy: I don't think you should stress about that now Richy. Right?

Me: Jessy is right. I think you should focus on feeling better.

Dan: Yeah guess you should speed dial your girlfriend and tell her to work her charm.

Richy: Ok seems like you guys have overstayed your welcome. If you guys don't mind can I speak to her alone? One on one?

Thomas: Sure.

I could hear a bit of shuffling and footsteps stomping around and then I heard Richy.

Richy: So you are not on speaker anymore and they aren't around.

Me: Ok.

Richy: I need to speak to you.

Me: Ok go ahead.

Richy: Not over the phone. Are you staying far?

Me: Richy I don't..

Richy: Just hear me out. Meet me somewhere, ok?

Me: Not today. Get discharged and go home Richy. Ill talk to you later.

Richy: Fine. Are you ok?

Me: Absolutely fine. Why?

Richy: You seemed off when you left.

Me: I am fine.

I could hear his sigh on the call. Maybe he was feeling awkward too. I thought the best way to move past it was to squash it.

Me: Richy. Don't worry about what happened. Nothing changes because of that ok?

Richy: Ok. Thanks. I was kinda feeling bad about that.

Me: Don't feel bad. You got me out of a difficult situation. Thank you.

Richy: You are welcome. By the way I never got to thank you for saving my life.

Me: I didn't.

Richy: yeah but you made sure to find me and that counts. Thank you Jade.

Me: you are welcome Richy. Ok I have to hang up. Feel better.

Richy: I will. Talk to you later. Bye.

And I honestly started feeling better. Maybe I had to look at the silver lining of things just like Richy did. My phone buzzed again. It was Jake calling.

Jake: Hey. Sorry I couldn't text you back immediately. How far out are you?

Me: Another hour or so.

Jake: Did you get anything from Richy?

Me: Nothing useful. He seemed to have blacked out after he got attacked.

Jake: Could be him lying or could be his mind protecting it from the trauma.

Me: I cant say for sure either ways. Anything from your side?

Jake: I got Ted Madruga's police record.

Me: That's amazing. Did you go through it?

Jake: Not yet I wanted us to go through it together. I am simultaneously working on some other things until you come back.

Me: Sounds good. See you soon.

Jake: Bye.

I hung up and continued driving on when I thought of telling Jake to meet me at the car rental. I could just drop off the car and he could pick me up. I really felt guilty of using rental cars after I had abandoned one in Duskwood. I had forgotten to ask Lilly about the progress of the car. I wanted to return it to the service in the most pristine condition as possible. After all it was rented under George's name. God only knows what else Dan had done to the car other than slashing the tires. That's when I quickly slammed on the brake. I should have been more careful as this could have been dangerous. I quickly turned the car around. How could I have missed it? How did Richy know about Dan slashing the tires?