Part 47

Richy's POV

I ran back into the library and asked the librarian, "The girl. What was she here for?" She gave me a rude look. "Please," I pleaded. She sighed, "She wanted to look at the older town maps." "Can you tell me which ones?" I asked. "Yes of course," she said. She gave me the archive number and I went searching for it. I took a copy of it and went back out of the library. Dreading to make the call. One ring later her picked up. "Hello," Jake said. Taking a deep breath, I said, "I have bad news. Don't freak out because I am already doing that for the both of us." "What happened?" he asked with a slight note of worry. "Jade and me had a fight on the way to my home. She didn't want to go anywhere with me, so I dropped her off at Aurora." "Get to the fucking point," Jake drilled. "She left her phone in my car. Phil said she went from Aurora to the library. I got to the library and she left a note there saying that she is going to meet Johnson." "Richy, tell me that is the bad news and nothing else," Jake said in a somber tone. "She isn't with Johnson. I don't know where she is," I said. "You what? Where is she?" Jake exploded. "I don't know," I said. "Where are you right now?" Jake asked. "Outside the library. I got copies of the research she was doing," I said. "Amy's case file?" Jake asked. "It's with Jade. Can you meet me at Aurora? I think Phil might know something." "I will be on my way. And Richy?" Jake asked. "Yes." I said. "Call Johnson as well. We need him too," Jake said and hung up.

I gulped. I was close to having a panic attack. It was all my fault that we didn't know where Jade was. If only I hadn't told anything to her, she would have been with me. I tried putting all the horrible thoughts aside and thinking straight. Okay maybe the librarian knew what else Jade was looking into. But there was another thing I had to do before going back. I called Johnson. "Nice of you to call Davis, considering I am the one keeping you out of jail. I hope you are on your way before the cops find you," he snapped. "Johnson, I need your help..." "Of course you do. After the stunt you have pulled I think you deserve a long time in jail," he said arrogantly. "Johnson, Jade is missing," I said in a hollow tone. Saying it made the sinking feeling in my stomach even more dreadful. "What do you mean by that? Isn't she with you?" he asked angrily. "She was. Look Johnson I really can't get into it right now. I need your help. There is a bar called Aurora. Meet me there and I promise I will tell you every single thing you need to know. But I need you to stall the cops for some time." I said desperately. "Turn off your phone and ditch it. Stay away from your car. Change your clothes and get to the bar as sneakily as possible." Johnson said. "Right. See you." I said hanging up. I turned off my phone and threw it in the trash can. I went into the library and spoke to the librarian. She told me about what Jade was looking into. It did not make any sense. I quickly walked towards Aurora, not going through the marketplace but rather using back streets to get there. As I got inside Aurora, Phil took one look at my face and said, "Hey are you alright?" I slumped on the counter, holding my head in my hands. "Richy what happened? Did you find Jade at the library?" "No she is gone." "What do you mean by gone?" I put my head on the counter. I heard the door open. "Where the hell is she, Davis?" Johnson's voice rang throughout the bar. I sighed, "Johnson I will explain everything. We just need to wait on one more person." "I don't care. Tell me now or else I am handing you over to the cops." Johnson screamed. "Who is this guy?" Phil asked. "None of your business." Johnson snapped. "Well you are in my bar so it is my business." Phil retorted. "Guys, just give it some time please," I said defeatedly. Johnson started pacing around the bar, "20 mins, Davis. If you don't open your mouth in 20 mins, its between you and the cops." He started calling, talking about some proceedings. The time passed slowly. It was killing me being here and not actively searching for Jade. But I had to stay put.

I don't know how much time had passed when I heard the door open again. I didn't need to look up to know who it was. However, Phil and Johnson stared at the new guy with suspicion and surprise. Jake didn't care about the looks he was receiving. He pulled me from the chair and punched me again and again. That was until, Johnson and Phil stepped in. They pried us away from each other. I don't know why I was being pulled away. It wasn't like I was fighting back. I deserved it. "Hey hey break it up," Johnson ordered while Jake kept on yelling profanities at me. "Ok all of you explain now. Who are you?" Johnson asked Jake. "Right now I think the important question is where is Jade? Not who I am?" Jake snapped. Johnson looked at him again. Jake was wearing a mask so I Johnson had a hard time heeding his words. "Ok start talking all of you," Johnson repeated. I started first, detailing what happened after we got the file, Jade staying back at Aurora and me tracing her steps from Aurora to the library. I handed them the papers I had printed with the map. "What does this mean?" Johnson asked. "I don't know," I said. Jake looked at the documents too. He turned to Phil, "What did you and Jade talk about?" Phil told him about his conversation. I could see the wheels turning in Jake's head but I didn't dare ask. "You seem to know something. Tell us," Johnson demanded to Jake. "I think she was trying to narrow down an area in the forest," Jake said. "This area," he said pointing on the new map print out. "So she went there all by herself instead of coming to me?" Johnson asked. "No. Someone has taken her. She would never go there by herself," Jake said. Johnson took a deep breath, "Okay first things first. I will inform the police department to start a search and rescue immediately. Richy you need to surrender as good faith and tell them what you told me. That may expedite things." "What? No way. I am not going anywhere other than to find Jade," I exclaimed. "Johnson is right Richy. This will be easier. We need all the help we can get," Jake said. I stared at him. Johnson nodded in approval. "Fine if you say so," I said. I don't think I had a choice. "Let me get my car around. I had to park a few blocks away in order to avoid any tails. Meet me out. And you? Mask man. Stay put. I have questions for you." Johnson said to Jake. Jake nodded, "Wouldn't think of anything else."

Johnson walked outside the bar. As soon as he was out, Jake looked at me and said, "Lets go. Now." "What? Where?" I asked. "To find her." He said. "Wait a minute, you guys are running away?" Phil asked. Jake looked at him and said, "Phil when Johnson comes back, tell him to get all the help to the mine bunkers in the forest. And track Richy's phone." "What?" Phil asked. "Just do as he says," I said scrambling to stand up. "Phil it is very important that Johnson gets this message ok?" Jake said. Phil nodded. We then ran out the back entrance and got into Jake's car.