Part 34

I had just freshened up and honestly there is actually no place like home. I knew sleeping for a few hours would be good, but I was feeling a bit too anxious to sleep. Thoughts about Hannah's involvement with my dad's old firm seemed to push me over the edge. Millions of questions circled in my mind. Why did she call the firm? Who did she speak with? How did I tie into this? Yes, this was a connection but not a direct one. I walked back to the living room to see Richy sitting on the couch reading a Top Gear magazine. Sans glasses. He looked up as he saw me. "You didn't sleep?" I asked. "Umm I couldn't and I don't think you could either. Sorry I borrowed this. Seems like your dad loved cars." Richy said. "Yes he did. I am just a bit too anxious to sleep actually." I said. "Are you anxious about meeting Johnson?" He asked. "Yes and no. More anxious about what I might find out." I said. He patted on the seat on the couch next to him. I sat down trying to relax. "Why? Do you think anyone at the firm had something to do with Hannah's disappearance?" He asked. "I don't know. There have been so many surprises that I don't even know what to expect." I said groaning. "I think the best way to go through this is to expect nothing Jade." Richy said. Not a day before I would have been talking to Jake about this and I was sure he would say something profound like this with a side of, we don't have an option. But things had changed. Out of habit I took out my phone and checked to see if I had received any messages. Nothing.

"I told Jake we got here fine. He said to let him know after we got done with meeting Johnson." Richy said. "Well, that's perfect," I said not knowing how else to react to this. "Jade if you trust Johnson and you think he is the best at his job then I think it is best we tell him everything." Richy said. "Richy if we tell him everything means we have to tell him about Jake, that he is threatening you and you would be in so much trouble. Remember he has those pictures. If they arrest him, god knows what will happen next." I said angrily. Richy sighed, "Jade I don't want to throw Jake under the bus no matter how big of an asshole he is. But then all you have to do is inform Jake beforehand to disappear and Johnson can probably find Hannah before moving his focus to Jake. And about my secret, I think I can handle it. I did a crime so ideally I should do the time as well. Atleast after that, no one will be able to hold it over my head." Richy said. "I need to think about this Richy." I said. It seemed like a good plan but was it really? Richy went back to reading the magazine probably not wanting to say anything and I patiently waited for time to pass. A few hours later, we were getting ready to leave the house to head to the firm. Knowing Johnson, we had to have a good story to justify my interest in Hannah's kidnapping. We took my car as I had asked George to take back the rental. Plus, it would have made Johnson more suspicious if he saw me in a rental car. We got to the firm and stepped into the reception area. I told the receptionist that I had a meeting with Johnson and she ushered us to his office. Outside his office, Janet, his assistant was seated. Janet knew who I was and she passed me a polite smile and exchanged a few pleasantries. However, it seemed like she was feeling slightly awkward. I brushed that off thinking that she was probably surprised seeing me with a guy. In a few minutes she told us that Johnson was expecting us. We stepped into the office. Johnson stood up from his chair and hugged me. He stared at Richy who stood by my side. I opened my mouth to introduce him when Johnson shook his head, "You're the missing garage owner from Duskwood. Please have a seat."

OK so Johnson had done his homework. "Yes. I'm Richy." Richy said smoothly. "I would say it is good to see you Richy but I am actually puzzled by your presence here." Johnson said. This was getting flammable, so I said, "Johnson, Richy is my boyfriend." Trying to extinguish the flames. "Is he now? Since when." Johnson asked. Interrogation mode. It was the best way I could explain about knowing Hannah sort of. "A few months ago." Richy said. "Interesting how'd you two meet?" Johnson asked. "Ok Johnson while I am so happy that you are interrogating him to your heart's content, but I really need your help." I said. Johnson leaned back on his chair, "Sure how can I help?" That was easy. Too easy. "I need to know who Hannah spoke with?" I asked. He looked at me for a few seconds, "Calls that come here go through the receptionist, then to the assistants and then to the lawyer, that is, provided she wanted to speak to a lawyer." Not a direct answer as expected. He pushed a button on the phone and said, "Janet could you come in here please." "Yes Mr West." She replied. Moments later she walked in through the door and stood by his desk. Johnson did not take his eyes off me and Richy. Then he said, "I think Janet owes you an apology Jade. Don't you Janet?" I looked at Janet who seemed very nervous.