Part 16

I had settled into the armchair by the fireplace. Jake had just left, and I felt the most at ease in days. Richy was alive and probably well. But the doubt on Jessy hung in the back of my mind. Was it possible that she could do it? This could be a possibility only if we knew for sure that Phil was arrested because of the Amy case. And why did Phil call me? What did he have to say? We had hardly had one conversation which wasn't unpleasant but why a call? And the cops were no help either as per what Jessy said. But I did not know if I could believe her. Maybe if I spoke to the cops myself.... No that could be risky. Richy was the best person I could talk to. But what if he had staged the attack?

I pushed that thought away. Even though it was a possibility I had to give him the benefit of the doubt. I had to carefully figure this out. Jake wouldn't have liked this approach. My mind wandered to Jake. Things had progressed so quickly. Jake was here with me. In an alternate world, we probably would have never met, but this still felt surreal. There were times I felt that I knew nothing about him but other times I felt that we understood each other completely. He was funny and smart. Ok maybe smart was an understated word to describe him. More of a genius. My phone buzzed. I groaned. Somewhere I was getting the feeling the phones were conspiring against Jake and me. It was literally hijacking our conversations, moments and now even my thoughts about him. I stared at the phone screen; it was the group chat.

Group Chat (Lilly, Cleo, Thomas, Richy, Dan, Jessy)

Cleo: Hey Guys. Anyone there?

Jade: I'm here.

Lilly: Me too

Dan: 🙋‍♂️

Thomas: Here

Jessy: Hi everyone

Cleo: Ok guys so I called the hospital and Richy is not allowed visitors until he gives his statement to the police. That could be today or tomorrow.

Jade: Is he awake?

Cleo: They didn't say meaning they said that weren't allowed to say. But they did say he is stable.

Jessy: That's good. I think we can go tomorrow.

Cleo: Well, they also said that only a selected people could meet him.

Lilly: Like who?

Cleo: I don't know maybe they have a list or something.

Dan: Wow now the boy scout is a celebrity, and we need to be on a list to meet him?

Thomas: Calm down Dan. It's possible that the doctors don't want him to be overwhelmed.

Jessy: You guys we should take some presents for him. Like a card and flowers.

Dan: That's awesome no one got me anything when I was in the hospital. 😒

Lilly: Flowers and cards really? It's Richy we are talking about not a grandma. We need to take something that will make him happy and calm.

Jessy: Good idea. Although it could be a someone 😉. If you know what I mean.

Thomas: 🤔

Lilly: 🤨

Dan: I think his mom is already there so I don't think that's a gift we can take.

Jessy: 🤦‍♀️Dan you are an idiot.

Cleo: I am pretty sure she means to invite Jade.

Jessy: Ding ding ding. So, what do you say Jade?

Jade: I don't think I can guys. I am sorry. I don't think I would be able to make it there by tomorrow.

Jessy: 😢😢😭😭