Part 26

We reached Richy's house. He unlocked the door and said, "Ladies first." I put one step in and stepped back, "You live alone?" "Of course. Who would I live with?" He asked. "Your parents." I said. He laughed. "They live a few blocks away." I stepped in, "Is it far from here?" "Not far enough," he said smiling. He switched on the lights. The house looked exactly like I had imagined. It was clean and the walls were adorned with what I assumed to be family pictures, pictures with friends, posters etc. A huge TV was in front of a couch and I saw he had a PlayStation plugged in the open media unit. Surprisingly, I saw magazines and books on automobiles of course. A console table had a line of trophies and more pictures of him holding the trophy with a wide smile. To put it in a few words, Richy's house reflected his personality, warm and charming. I took a minute to look at the pictures as he walked into the other room. I was particularly amused to see the photos were from throughout his life. Childhood, school, college, etc. It was all so comforting. So homey. I felt myself feeling a sense of calm wash over me.

"You know you don't need to look at the picture if you have the man standing right in front of you." Richy said. I looked at him. He had changed into a t shirt and comfy pants. I shrugged, "Pictures tell a story. Just reading yours." "Why do that when you can just ask me?" he said. "I need to call Jake and tell him I'm here." I said changing the topic. "Sure." He said. I sat on the couch and Richy sat beside me as I put the call on speaker. Jake picked the call after the 1st ring. "Hello." He said. "Hey Jake, you are on speaker." I said. "Ok what's going on?" he asked. "So, I did speak to Phil. Turns out he was the one who went to visit Iris Hanson with Hannah. I kinda convinced him to go with me tomorrow to meet her. He agreed." I said carefully avoiding the unpleasant things that occurred in the process. "Hmm that seems like a good idea. Iris may cooperate better and be more forthcoming with a person she recognizes." Jake said. "Jake?" I said. "I know we glossed over the fact that Phil is innocent, but do you think we can find any evidence to prove that?" I asked. "For Hannah's disappearance yes, we can but for Amy's murder we don't know what the exact parameters are to rule him out. Why do you ask?" he asked. "Phil is devastated, I think he would be better if we can help him out." I said. "Jade. I think we need to find Hannah first and I am hoping that may resolve Phil's issue. Right now, I don't think it is wise to deter from what we are looking into. I know you think Amy & Hannah's cases are related but I think we should take it one step at a time. Ok?" Jake said. "Ok" I said. "So, when are you guys going to meet Iris?" Jake asked.

Before I could answer Richy interrupted, "Jade and Phil are going to meet Iris in the morning." I glared at him. I was going to tell Jake delicately, not drop it like a bomb. "Come again?" Jake asked his tone getting a bit erratic. "Nancy Drew here has agreed to go with Phil ALONE to the Hansons." Richy repeated. "I heard what you said the first time. I wanted to know from Jade how she agreed to an atrocious thing like this and how you did not say a word about it Richy." Jake said angrily. "I hope you know who you are talking about Jake. She doesn't listen to anyone. I wonder how you dealt with her." Richy quipped. I shot him a look, "Guys I am right here." "Jade.." Jake began. "Before you say anything, Phil said that was his one condition in agreeing to go to the Hansons with me. I had to agree because that was the only option. I am sure he isn't going to try anything; he is out on bail, so I am perfectly safe." I said. "Only you can come up with such an explanation." Richy muttered. "Fine. Richy can you please?" Jake said. "Of course, you don't even need to ask." Richy responded. "Ok what's that?" I asked. "He is asking me to follow you." Richy said. "That won't work. Look Jake you can track my phone. I am quite sure you can track Phil's phone too. If anything happens you will know where to find me." I said. Jake didn't say anything. "Don't tell me you are agreeing to this Jake," Richy said. "I don't like this either Richy but do you have a better alternative? Or is there something I should know about?" Jake asked. We sat there silently. I was completely sure that Richy would blurt out everything that happened at Aurora but he just said, "I just don't like the guy that's all." "So its settled then, tomorrow morning I'll be talking to the Hansons." I said. "Are you heading back now?" Jake asked. "Actually I..." I started. "Because I think it is logical for you to crash at Richy's place rather than travelling back and forth." Jake said which surprised both Richy and me. "I hope you don't mind Richy." He said smoothly. "Not at all." Richy responded. "Alright then. Take care guys. Keep me posted." Jake said hanging up.

"Was he just okay with me staying here?" I asked. "He seemed to be okay with a lot of things." Richy muttered. "Are you still stuck on that?" I asked. "Of course, I am. A guy who can do that can do anything and you should be thankful I didn't tell Jake about the incident. I am fairly sure he would have shot the guy." Richy said. "Yeah right." I said sarcastically. Richy gave me a strange look and then shrugged his shoulders. "Hungry? What do you think about pizza?" he asked suddenly. "Starving. Pizza sounds great." I said a bit surprised by the change in topic. He started fiddling with his phone ordering pizza I presumed. "That's it? You are not going to say anything else?" I asked. "No. You have made up your mind. You won't listen to me. The one person you would probably listen to is ok with it. What more can I say?" Richy said. Soon we settled to eat the pizza that was delivered. We watched a few videos funny enough to make us burst in laughter. Honestly, I felt very lighthearted. "So, you like racing?" I asked Richy. He smiled. I think that was his second nature. He smiled easily. "How about you ask me what you really want to ask me?" he said. "Okay. How is it that you are the only guy among the group not involved with anyone?" I asked. "Maybe I was waiting for you." He said. I frowned. "Ok ok I know that's cheesy. Duskwood is really not a place I want to settle down in you know but I am here because I have responsibilities. However, I am hoping that one day I get to live where I want somewhere far away from Duskwood. Getting involved with someone here would just anchor me here." He said. "Not even a fling?" I asked. "Within the group? Not at all. That would be disastrous." He said. "So, outside the group then?" I pressed. "Of course. But I don't kiss and tell Jade." He responded.

"Ok my turn." He said. "You and Jake? Are you guys officially dating?" he asked. I gave it some thought, "We haven't really had that conversation. Given the circumstance it doesn't seem appropriate." Richy gave me a long look. "Do you think he loves you back?" Richy asked calmly. I guess he already knew I was crazy about Jake. I had this question in the back of my head for a long time. I didn't know honestly and even giving it a thought seemed so trivial as we were focused on finding Hannah. I never dared to ask him that point blank. Guess it felt selfish to ask. I was pretty sure Jake knew how I felt but I really did not know what he felt. "I don't know." I said realizing how foolish it sounded. "I don't blame you. He is a hard guy to read." He said. Desperate to change the topic I said, "Do you think Hannah got involved with something wrong and is hiding? And we are probably running around like headless chickens?" "Why are you asking me that?" He countered. "You've known Hannah for years so I figured you might be the best person to tell me." I said. He thought about it for a while. "I feel like we all have secrets. Some which we tell some which we don't. If Hannah was mixed up with something wrong, then it is a secret she never told me." Richy said. That made me wonder whom she would tell?