Part 46

I pored over the case file, trying my best to keep myself from throwing up. Whoever had done this to Amy was not a sick person, he/she was definitely the reincarnation of the devil himself. Forget about looking at the crime scene photos, people reading it would need therapy. Amy had suffered. A lot. For days. I was quietly sitting at one of the corner booths. I did not want Phil to snoop into what I was reading. Too many questions. I stared at Amy's missing picture. Green eyes stared back at me. The same eyes I had. I remember some people saying something on the lines of, "I see why you are named Jade. Your eyes.." The report outlined the cause of each injury she had suffered. Multiple stab wounds to her torso. Bonded at the wrist leaving deep bruises upward, which seemed to be because she was hung by her wrists. Tape marks over her mouth, to keep her from screaming. Plus, she had high quantities of arsenic, selenium and other poisonous minerals in her system. He was poisoning her too? He was a monster. If I feared this person before, I was way past being petrified now. Man without a face, more like man without a soul. From the corner of my eye, I saw Phil walk towards me. I shut the file and placed it on my lap. He settled opposite me in the booth. "Done with the reading?" he asked. "Kind of," I said. "What is it about?" he asked. I racked my brain and said, "Something from work that needs to be finished before I get back." "Okay? I know I am being too direct but why are you drenched?" he asked sheepishly. "Oh. It's a long story." I said brushing him off. "Were you guys making out?" he asked. I raised my eyebrows, "Who?" "You and Richy? I saw his car and I assumed things didn't go well." "I don't really want to talk about it. He was a dick to me and crossed the line." I said angrily. "Knowing him, I am pretty sure he already regrets and must have already texted you a million apologies." "Right," I said. My phone hadn't buzzed in all this while. I put my hand in the pocket, thinking that I may have put it on silent, but my hand found nothing. "Shit I think I left my phone in his car," I muttered. "You can use my phone," he offered. "No I am good. He will be back soon. Besides, I really don't want to initiate a conversation with him." I said dryly.

He shrugged, "Told you the quiet ones are the freakiest." He then started drinking water from a packaged bottle. I smirked, "So you are one of the guys who drinks bottled water only?" He furrowed his eyebrows and said, "Lady, if you knew how poisonous the drinking water in Duskwood is, believe me you would be hugging bottled water too." "How is that?" I asked. "I don't know. But there was a flyer when we were kids that the water was polluted by arsenium or something." "Arsenic & Selenium," I stammered. "Yeah. That and some other chemicals. Scary stuff." I stood up abruptly from my seat, "Phil, do you have the flyer?" "Jeez. No. It was ages ago." "Can I use your phone?" I asked. "Sure," he said handing over his phone. I quickly searched for any information regarding water poisoning in Duskwood. All the articles just mentioned that Duskwood used overhead tanks as water supply. It mentioned that the groundwater had high levels of selenium and arsenic which had caused the town to switch. But no information why. Another thought crossed my mind. "How far is the library?" I asked. "On the other side of the marketplace. Maybe 10 mins by walk?" I stood up and started rushing out and yelled back, "Can you tell Richy that I will be at the library?" He looked confused, "Sure."

I literally sprinted in the direction Phil had pointed out. I got inside the library and ran to the librarian's desk. "Oh dear. Is it raining outside?" she asked. "No but I need your help." I said. I asked her about the water pollution, and she pointed me to the archives to look into it. I looked through some articles and I found out why the incident happened. I went back to the librarian asking more about it and she directed me to look into the old town maps for more details. As I looked through them, comparing them to the present day maps I came to the realization as to why Richy's and Jake's forest search had come up empty. If I was right, then I knew where Hannah could possibly be. I sat there quietly, thinking. I couldn't just involve Jake and Richy in this. Johnson had to be involved too. If everything I had read and researched everything correctly, adding what Jake had hypothesized, then we would need to be extremely careful and need all the help we could get. I looked at the watch on the wall. Ok maybe Johnson was still here. I created a few copies of the maps and handed a note to the librarian, "Please give this to someone who comes looking for me. I don't have my phone on me." "I would need to know who that person would be." "Richy Davis. And can you point me the way to the hotel?" I asked. "The mechanic. Ok I will do that. The hotel is right down the street." She said sweetly. "Thank you," I said starting to sprint again. Please be there Johnson, please just be there.

Richy's POV

I was annoyed. Annoyed at Reggie. Annoyed at Jake. Annoyed at the freaking psycho who kidnapped Hannah. But most of all I was annoyed at me. Why the hell did I have to open my mouth? Bravo Richy. You confessed your feelings and told her, her relationship was based on her dad issues. Shit. And if it wasn't for Reggie I wouldn't have snapped. My baby brother, Reggie was a giant pain in the ass. After receiving a full scholarship to a good university and he dropped everything to come and see me. For others, it would seem like a great gesture, but I knew his ulterior motives. He would do anything to get out of his classes. As I got inside my house, knowing very well he would be there. "What are you doing here?" I snapped at him as he was intently playing on the playstation. Without breaking his gaze from the television, he asked, "Where have you been?" "I asked first," I said calmly. He didn't respond. I shut off the TV. "Hey, I was just about to beat your highscore," Reggie grumbled. "Get out and go back to school," I yelled. He scoffed, "Nice way to greet your brother. I was worried you know. Mom called. She was very tensed," Reggie said. "You and I both know that this is just an excuse for you to leave college," I snapped. "Get off your high horse. So, I missed few classes. Big deal. It's the least I could do for my big brother," Reggie responded. "Wow I am touched. Now leave." "Whats your problem?" he asked. "My problem is that you are throwing everything away," I said. "Richy, you want me to go to school. I am ok with working in Roger's. And yes, I am missing a few days at school but it doesn't matter if I will be working at Roger's," he said calmly. "No I am taking care of Roger's and you should focus on getting a degree and making something for yourself," I explained. "But you hate it." "Not this again," I groaned. "Rich, you hate working here. You went to college because you wanted to get out of Duskwood, but you stayed back just because you think you need to be all high and mighty and sacrifice the life you want for me." "Someone had to take care of Roger's and you have to get out of here now," I screamed.

He looked at me from top to bottom. "Wait a minute. This isn't about me, is it?" I looked away. "You normally get pissed because of me skipping school but you know I have a valid reason to be here. So you shouldn't be mad. What's going on? Does it have to do with your girlfriend?" he asked. "What girlfriend?" "Oh come on Rich. Jess told me you are pining for some girl who isn't from here. Didn't she visit you in the hospital or something?" "I don't know what you are talking about," I scoffed. He narrowed his eyes at me and sighed, "Ok I just came to check on you. I will go back but it seems like love has hit you my boy. Hit you real fucking bad." I rolled my eyes. "Can you drop me to the station?" he asked. "Fine." The drive to the station just consisted of Reggie getting on my nerves, grilling me about my "girlfriend". When he got out of the car at the station, he stopped and asked, "This girl of yours? She is making you crazy. The good crazy." He waved and walked away. I thought for a moment and I realized I had to apologize to Jade. I stopped at the florist, got some flowers. Maybe that would work. I got to Aurora and walked in. Phil was behind the counter. He looked at me and said, "Oh Richy, flowers really aren't my thing." I groaned and asked, "Where's Jade?" "I texted you. She is at the library," he said. "What? Why did you text me?" I said taking out my phone ready to call Jade. "She forgot her phone in your car." I shook my head. Damn. I just quickly sprinted to my car and speedily drove to the library. I got inside the library and screamed, "Jade." "Shhhhhhhhhhhh," the librarian said. I was looking around for Jade when the librarian motioned me to come to her. She handed me a note, "A young lady left this for you, Richard." I nodded and read it:

Going to Johnson. We need his help. I think it is time to get him on board. Meet me at his hotel.

I sighed. This was good. Finally, we wouldn't be working in the gray. I heard my phone buzz. I ducked out of the library and saw that it was Johnson calling. Great. I am sure he must be pissed. I picked up the call.

Me: Hello.

Johnson: What the fuck were you thinking? You stole medical records of an active case from the coroner's office while you were on bail?

Ok. Maybe pissed and a half. I guess Jade had told him about our shenanigans.

Me: Ok I know it was unorthodox but..

Johnson: No buts. I want you here at my hotel right now.

Me: Sure. Ill be there in 5 mins.

Johnson: And bring Jade along as well. She is as much at fault as you are.

Me: Excuse me? Bring Jade?

Johnson: Isn't she with you?.... Tell me she is with you Davis.

Me: Ill call you back.

I hung up with horror creeping up my spine. Where the hell was Jade?