Part 17

Jake's POV

I got in the car and swiftly got into the street. I anticipated that it wouldn't take me more than an hour to get done with this. I honestly hoped I did not have to leave her and go. We did not know how far the kidnapper's reach was. Not to mention the people who I was hiding from. Lilly's video had been a big blow and it had messed up a lot of things for me. Everything had to be uprooted and started afresh. I was getting used to it. Ever since I went into hiding, nothing was permanent. I look at the co-ordinates that was given to me on the maps in my phone. Why did he have to select such a dinghy location? I knew why. He was always a man of theatrics.

My mind wandered back to the day when I received Lilly's message about Jade being in Duskwood. I couldn't believe it. Was she really there? If she was then that was by far the worst thing that could happen. It was the only thing she had promised she would do. Not going to Duskwood. It was lucky that I was close and could drop by the apartment she was in. I shuddered at the thought of someone else reaching her first. I had seen her in pictures maybe a few videos on her social media sites. That was easy. But nothing had prepared me for our first meeting. I was expecting a naïve woman but she was exceptionally smart. She knew how to confirm my identity. It was good that I remembered every conversation she'd had. There was one thing though, she was very trusting. Trusting someone completely was a dangerous trait in my profession. So this was a pleasant surprise for me.

I saw my behaviour change around her. I had no clue if it was for better or for worse. Richy's disappearance had hit her hard. So much so that she had left the confines of her home to come to Duskwood which was a dangerous place for her to be in. I never understood her equation with Richy. It was different from her conversation with the others but very much similar to the conversations with me. Was there more between them that I wasn't seeing? She said there wasn't but maybe she didn't realize it yet. My paranoia had almost saved us from being found by Dan which we know was not at all a threat, but it could have spoiled a lot of things. We hadn't eliminated Dan as a suspect yet so maybe his story was very controversial. I was glad I did not have to use the contingency plan. It would have been very unpleasant to say the least.

But now Richy was found. It may have calmed her which was a good change. The timing of Richy's reappearance was off. I had to find out why. But I think it was a good at a certain level as I couldn't afford her to act any more impulsive. The pings of my phone alerted me. I saw there were multiple messages. Reading through them would have been a waste of time. I called Jade. She told me about their plans to meet Richy. I wondered what he would say to her. Her overwhelming concern for my safety made me smile. I could handle myself well, but I guess she didn't know that. I now pulled into a deserted parking lot of what seemed like an abandoned building. I saw his car already there and he was standing outside leaning over his car.

I never really liked the man, but he was reliable. I couldn't say I could trust him. Hell, I didn't anyone. But I know no words could escape his mouth.... As long as there was enough money stuffed in it. I checked my jacket. Satisfied, I got out of the car. "Hi mate," he said waving, his other hand was holding cigarette. I grimaced. I hated every fiber of his being. "Hi Hayes," I said in a low tone gritting my teeth. "I can't say I am surprised to hear from you. However, when I heard you were taking a personal time off, I was expecting Reno, Madrid, Athens, or Buenos Aires not this dump." He said. "Everyone is entitled to his choice. Do you have what I ordered?" I asked. "Have I ever disappointed you?" he asked. I clenched my fists. It was stupid of me to ask. He wouldn't turn up if he didn't have what I wanted. He had a bag on his back. He threw it towards me. I caught it. I was surprised. He never handed over anything without a payment. Cautiously I opened the bag. All the contents were as requested. I took out my phone, "Where do you want me to transfer the payment?" "It has been paid for." He said.

I gave him a surprised look. "The boss paid for it," he said with a smirk. I flinched. This was unexpected. He waited for me to ask him but I didn't. I knew he would say it anyways. He waited a few more seconds and said, "Boss wants to know when you are coming back?" I put the bag on my shoulder and said, "Tell him never as I don't work for him anymore." I turned around to walk towards my car. This wasn't a conversation I wanted to partake in. "Does you lady friend know you are not even Jake?" he yelled. I stopped in my tracks. A cold chill ran through my spine. I turned around, "What did you say to me?" He looked nervous. "You think Boss doesn't know about it?" he asked nervously. "I don't think he would tell a cockroach like you. Spill it. What else did he say?" I asked. He seemed to be boldened by the question. His demeanor changed back to being cunning. "The boss knows everything mate. He is curious. Says there is no killing in your profession, then why the jewelry mate?" he asked pointing to my jacket. I still kept my gaze on him. He continued, "Glock 17 right?" I didn't blink. I hadn't tried hiding the fact that I had purchased a gun as it was irrelevant but boss was keeping close tabs on me was concerning. I didn't want to know more but there was something I had to ask, "How long till boss knows where I am?" "Oh he just knows you are with a lady friend not where you are." he said. "And I bet you are going to tell him aren't you?" I asked. "He doesn't want that information. He just wants you to wrap this up and come out of it without a scratch." He said. I didn't believe him a bit. I turned back and started walking towards the car with no intention of turning back. "Boss has a message mate. He says, "To find something you need to scratch below the surface."" He said yelling on top of his voice. I sat back in the car not even flinching a bit. I had no intention of solving his stupid mysteries. I started my car and left the parking lot. A few minutes down the road I took my gun out and put it in my old bag. I took the contents of the bag Hayes had given and put it in my old bag as well. I then threw away the bag Hayes had given. He was slimy enough to put a tracker in the bag. I looked at my bag. Good thing she never checked it. The result would have been disastrous. I continued driving back deep in thought. What if my lies caught up to me? Jade would probably lose her faith in me.