Part 14

Group chat: Jade, Thomas, Cleo and Richy

Thomas: Hey Jade, you have some time?

Cleo: Yeah we have some news.

I sighed, "Its Cleo and Thomas." Jake's eyes narrowed, "What are they saying?" he looked over my shoulder into the phone screen.

Jade: Hey guys what's up?

Thomas: We went to the pawn shop to ask about the bracelet.

Cleo: Yes we spoke to Mr Oakley. He said that Hannah took the bracelet from the pawn shop, maybe a few days before her disappearance.

Jade: Yeah we kinda know that.

Thomas: Yes and we did ask him who was the original owner of the bracelet.

Jade: And?

Cleo: He said the bracelet was in the shop for a long time. It was in the storage boxes of things that were actually worthless or were not in a good condition to be sold anymore. He found it recently when he was cleaning up his shop and he could not believe that such a valuable piece of jewelry was misplaced in that box.

Jade: So he misplaced it?

Thomas: Actually no. Weirdly Mr Oakley said he never got the bracelet.

Jade: What does that mean?

Cleo: Mr Oakley said that the jewelry was so exquisite, he would have remembered who brought it in.

Jade: Maybe someone else took it in.

Thomas: That's what we asked. Apparently Mr Oakley never took a holiday or even had a partner or employee help him out ever.

Jade: So the bracelet magically appeared in his shop?

Cleo: Well he actually meant ever since his surgery. He had a part time worker hired at the time. Mr Oakley had a surgery at the time and could not run the shop all on his own so he got someone to look after his shop.

Jade: Who was it?

Thomas: That's a problem.

Jade: Why?

Cleo: He said it was a long time ago and he used to pay the guy in cash. He mentioned his name was Andy. But he says it might not even have been his real name.

Jade: What? How could he not have had any details about a guy he hired?

Thomas: He was desperate to have the shop running and he was ready to work for cheap. However, he fired Andy because he suspected that he was doing something illegal.

Jade: Illegal like what?

Cleo: He suspected drugs but he also thought that it could be theft. Mr Oakley thinks that maybe this was something Andy stole and hid in his shop.

Jade: What about you guys? Do you know this Andy fellow.

Thomas: No Jade. It was a long time ago. And we weren't exactly hanging around a pawn shop at the time.

Jade: How long ago was that?

Cleo: 10 years ago.

Right at the same year Jennifer had died. I looked at Jake. He shook his head in disappointment.

Jade: Ok. Thank you guys.

Thomas: I wish we could be more helpful.

Cleo: Yeah I really expected to get some useful information about the bracelet.

Jade: I know you guys tried your best. Thank you. Anything on Richy?

Cleo: No ☹

Jade: Phil's arrest?

Thomas: No clue. Maybe Jessy knows?

Jade: Ok thanks guys. Bye

Thomas: Bye

Cleo: Take care bye.

"Another dead end," I said. "Yeah, seems like it." Jake groaned. "This is getting very annoying. I feel like we are stuck in room with just walls all around." I said. "I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I was breaking into the Fort Knox security system." Jake said. "Huh. You did what?" I looked at him all surprised, my eyes were almost about pop out of my skull. "Kidding," he giggled and started walking ahead. "Fort Knox security system was way easier..." he muttered. "Jake!?" I screamed. "Honestly, I am kidding." Jake said. His phone buzzed. He looked at it and said, "I have to go." "Resources?" I asked. "Yeah. Let's head back to the house." He said. I nodded. We walked silently back to the house. "I know what your answer would be, but I don't think you can find out about this Andy person?" I asked. "I wish I could say yes. There isn't a starting point. Do you think anyone else in Duskwood would know Andy?" he asked. "Well, there is an avid gossipmonger, Mrs Sully who might know but again its 10 years ago. And maybe the information may not be reliable." I said. "I think it's a long shot but it's worth a try. I think in the meanwhile you can ask Dan, Jessy and Lilly about Andy. Maybe they know something." He suggested.

"Yeah, I also need to ask Jessy about Phil's arrest," I said. "Ok." He said. We were almost towards the entrance of the house when I stopped Jake and said, "I'm sorry." "What for?" he asked. "For not catching a break," I said winking at him. He narrowed his eyes, "I am nothing if not a patient man." I laughed. We got into the house and the old woman seemed to be watching a news telecast. The ringing of the bell alerted her, she turned around and said, "Oh good you are back. I was about to come out and call out to you. This news report really gave me a sinking feeling." "What is it about?" I asked. It was sweet of her to be concerned of two strangers who were just her guests based on a news report. Jake nudged me and pointed to the TV screen, "The news." He said quietly. I looked at the TV screen. The report title read, "Hikers find missing garage owner in Duskwood forest."