Part 57

Face to face with the Devil, Jade's POV

I sat across an empty chair, next to Johnson and the prosecutor, dreading every second here. "Don't engage him. Let him talk," Johnson said. Slow footsteps sounded outside the door. Luke sauntered in with a cop and Margaret Kay. He sat down comfortably right in front of me as if we were meeting in a coffee shop. He beamed at me, "Jade. It is so lovely to see you." For a third person it would seem like he was a long-lost friend, meeting me after ages. I didn't say anything. "Ok, Mr. Peterson, what do you have to say? Let's make it quick," the prosecutor said. Luke narrowed his eyes at the prosecutor and then looked at Margaret. She cleared her throat, "Luke will only talk to Jade. He won't answer any of your questions. Only converse with Jade." "That were not the agreed terms," Johnson said gritting his teeth. "It is now. Take it or leave it. We can all sit here but Luke will only speak with Jade, else he walks. It is a favor he is doing to you anyways," Margaret said haughtily. "Do you share your client's delusion as well?" Johnson snapped. "Oh Johnny, that's not a nice way to get my client to cooperate," she responded.

"What do you want to talk about Luke?" I asked, knowing that the banter would continue. Luke smiled, "Good you are a fast learner." He looks around, "Where is your boyfriend? Let me guess? Watching from the shadows?" His eyes scan to the cameras on the wall. "I don't know what you are talking about," I said, knowing very well who he was talking about. "Oh of course you do. Anyways, I had to ask you something? Is it true that you get nightmares about your attack?" he asked. I flinched, but I don't answer. "I apologize for bringing it up but somehow I feel Amy and Jennifer had it better you know, not having the nightmares because of course they didn't have a chance to sleep," he said calmly. "Mr. Peterson I would advice you that..." Margaret started. "Did I ask for it?" he snapped. Margaret glared at him, but I don't think he cared. "I have one question. Your "friend" could have helped you find Hannah anytime. Why didn't he?" he asked looking at Johnson. Before I could answer, he continued, "Your friend has real good connections, plus they all owe him a lot of favors, don't they? I wonder what did he have to gain by getting down in the trenches when he could have ended it by just a phone call." "I thought you had something to talk about. Do you even have any remorse for what you have done? What you have done is so wrong and illegal," I said. "Its wrong and illegal only if you get caught," he said smirking. The words resonated in me. I stared at him, "Tell me about the others." "Don't know what you are talking about. But I do have something for you. I heard your birthday is in a few months." He motions to Margaret who sets a wrapped box on the table. "You are crazy if you think we are taking this." Johnson said. "Its not for you, its for her and trust me, you would want what's in the box," he said looking at me. "It has been checked," Margaret said. "Whatever, is he taking the deal or not?" the prosecutor asked. Margaret handed a file over, "Signed statement that whatever happened to Hannah, Amy, Jennifer and Jade were his doing provided the sentence is not death penalty." Luke never took his eyes off me. I had to look away. The prosecutor went over the file for a few minutes, looked at Johnson and nodded, "Its all here." Johnson, the prosecutor and I stood up. "Forgetting something?" Luke said pushing the box. Johnson picked it up with force. "Don't be a stranger Jade. I guess you already have one in your life. It is a weird coincidence that Duskwood has the legend of the man without a face and you also have a man without a face in your life," he said as we walked out of the door.

As we got out, I could feel the oxygen in my body as if I had forgotten to breathe completely. I took some time to regain my composure. "So the trial will be postponed for at least 8-10 weeks," I heard the prosecutor say. "Why?" I asked. "Well based on the statement we now have, we can reopen the Jennifer- Madruga case and Amy's case as well. That takes time. Don't worry, Luke will be behind bars," Johnson said. I nodded. However, my vision was burned with the box still in Johnson's hand. He looked at me, "Don't bother about it." "What do you think it is?" I asked. He shrugged. When I still didn't look away, he groaned and unwrapped the paper from the box. It was a velvet box. He opened it and I looked at it, "Is this what I think it is?" "No it isn't, that one is in the evidence locker." He said. The prosecutor looked bewildered, "I guess we need to give this to the agents." Johnson held the emerald bracelet in his hand as if it was infected. He turned it over and squinted, "It has your name engraved on it." I felt like throwing up. "There is a note too," Johnson said. He picked it up and showed it to me. One word was written on it. Hermês. "What does that mean? Have you heard it before?" Johnson quipped. I shook my head, "No. Not at all." "I think the jeweler's name would still be somewhere on the bracelet, maybe that can help finding something?" the prosecutor said. Johnson handed the box and its contents to the prosecutor, "I think you are right. The agents can take a look at it, though I don't know how that can help."

I was shook with whatever had happened. The sheer composure that Luke exhibited made my skin crawl. He wasn't remorseful. He wasn't scared. He wasn't even the least bit uncomfortable, as if he knew something that we didn't. Honestly, though I wanted to look into it I just didn't have the determination to do so. "I need to go home," I told Johnson. "Sure, I think there is a ride to Richy's home." "No Johnson, I want to go to my home," I said quietly. "Okay, don't you have to get your stuff from Richy's?" he asked. "I can get it later," I mumbled. "Really? You want to leave without even saying a word to me?" Richy's voice sounded behind me. Johnson looked at me, "Also Richy is here. I called him. I thought you would need the support. I will give you guys a minute." I turned around to face Richy, "Look, I didn't mean.." "Of course, you didn't. You never mean anything you say. You left in the morning before I even woke up. And now you want to leave without telling anyone? Without telling me?" he said clearly hurt. "What else did you expect me to do? Stay in Duskwood. My life isn't here." "Or you could tell me to come along with you." "And leave Roger's?" I snapped. He handed me a letter. I read it, "You got a job in my town?" "Yes, I start Monday. And before you say anything, I am not doing this just for you. I told you I wanted to get out of Duskwood and I meant it." "When did you apply? And what about the garage?" I asked. "I applied a week after finding you and Hannah. I thought life is too short and I need to do things that make me happy. As for Roger's, Reggie graduates in a few months and he said he will take over," Richy said. "And you are okay with that?" I asked. "I have come to terms with it. Its what he wants to do so be it. Were you really going to leave without telling me Jade?" he asked. "No I wouldn't. I just wanted to go back home for a few days. I would have come back and told you that I wanted to be at home. The past few weeks have been really bad and I want to move away from painful memories. Duskwood reminds me of it. I really want to get away," I said. "Fine then. How about we leave tomorrow?" he asked. "Tomorrow?" "Yes I can use a few extra days for looking for an apartment and you can help me with that," he said. Johnson cleared his throat, "I am pretty sure Jade's home has a spare room, doesn't it? Not that you would need it." Richy and me looked at each other. "Plus, I think I need someone to keep an eye on her, Davis. Someone to make sure she goes to therapy. Doctor's orders." Johnson said raising his hands.

"No, I think I should be fine. I can visit...." Richy started. "Its alright Richy, you can stay at my place," I said. "Great. Its settled then. How about you guys go and pack. I have to discuss a few things with the prosecutor. I don't think we need any more statements from both of you as of now, but we will let you know about it," Johnson said. "About the bracelet?" I asked. "I will keep you in the loop," he said as he walked away. "What bracelet?" Richy asked. I told him. "That son of a bitch," he muttered. "Do you know anything about Hermês?" I asked. "The French company that sells bags?" he asked. "No that's Hermès. I mean Hermês – it's a Greek God, I think. Have you come across it in Duskwood?" I asked. "Doesn't ring a bell. Maybe he is just trying to play with your mind," he said. "I was hoping it was a clue to finding about the other victims," I said. "He doesn't seem like the kind to give clues. You think he was gloating about it?" he asked. I groaned, "I don't know. I hope the agents find something from the bracelet."

"How about we go home? Looks like you need some coffee," he said. "Make it Irish and you are game," I muttered. "I highly doubt that. Its time to face the music. I have to tell the others that I am leaving," he said. "Oh no that's not going to be good," I muttered. "We got to do what we got to do," he said smirking at me.