Part 40

Johnson's assertion scared me to the core. Every threat that I had gotten until now was having real effects. But how did Johnson know that? "What makes you say so?" I asked. "Well, the water supply to your house was shut off, the smoke alarm was disconnected, and I am pretty sure that a cell phone signal jammer was used so that you wouldn't be able to place or receive calls. The firefighters told me about the water supply and smoke alarm, so I think this took a lot of planning. So, Jade you better not take this lightly. You could have died." Johnson said. Dreaded thoughts took hold of me. I wasn't taking this lightly in the slightest bit, but I had other things to worry about as well. "I know. I understand but we have pressing matters. Right now, all I can think about is Richy being in jail." I said softly. Maybe it was the worry in my voice that caused Johnson's demeanor to change. "Don't worry. I think I can get him out. But, I want to advise you something. Since your life is in danger, maybe you should stay under the radar. After we post the bail for Richy, would you consider hiding in a safe place? All I have to do is place a few calls and you should be set," he said. "No," I said. He grimaced. Enough running and hiding. "Why not?" he snapped back. "There is some unfinished business." I said cryptically. "Jade there is only so much I can do with the information you have given me. Tell me and I can help you and your friends. You know that. I know you. Whatever happens you will never support anything wrong. So, let me help you." Johnson persisted. "Ok Johnson. I will tell you everything, I promise, once I am done with everything." I said.

He gave an exasperated sigh and shook his head in defeat. The remainder of the drive was completely silent. We got to the Duskwood police station. I got out, nervously. The thought about being at the police station scared me. I remembered, the cop who had asked me for the identification when I had visited Richy at the hospital. This would be bad if that officer was around. But I didn't think giving an excuse to Johnson for standing out would be wise. Hopefully since I had the disguise on previously, I may not be recognized. We got into the police station and Johnson walked straight to the police chief's office, like he just belonged here. Alan Peterson was embossed on the door. I waited outside. I saw them having an intense conversation through the glass window. Johnson passes a folder to the chief, which he starts looking at carefully. The whole exchange hardly takes 15 minutes and they both stand up and walk out. The chief looks at me. "And you are?" he asked. Before I could answer, Johnson said, "This is Jade." Chief Alan looked at me with a surprise, "Wayne's daughter?" I nodded and smiled. "Chief Alan was a good friend of your dad's, Jade and he has been really cooperative. I just posted bail so Richy can get out now." Johnson said. "Wait you are Richy's girlfriend?" Chief Alan asked. "Yes, thank you for helping out, Sir." I said surprised that my dad was good friends with the Chief of Duskwood. He looked at me with confusion, "Are you sure?" Johnson looked back and forth between me and the Chief. "What is that supposed to mean?" Johnson asked. The Chief looked uncomfortable, "Nothing, I thought his girlfriend was someone else." Johnson shot me a look. I shrugged, "Can I meet him now?"

"Uhhh. Sure in a while. We just have a bit of paperwork to finish. It was nice to meet you, Jade." Chief Alan said motioning Johnson down the hall. I slapped my forehead. It was a bad idea to come in. Also, weird that Chief Alan knew my dad. Or maybe its something coincidental. My phone buzzed. Message from Jake.

Jake: You and Richy need to meet me as soon as he gets bail.

I rolled my eyes. Of course. He would want to know everything. After all he was the "crusader" of the righteous. I sat on a bench for god knows how long when I saw Johnson, Chief Alan and Richy trailing behind them. Richy exchanged a few words and nods with the Chief and Johnson and walked towards me. He was sporting a black eye. "Did they hit you?" I asked in a whisper. "No. Don't you remember? Jake punched me." He said. "Oh right," I said. My back was turned to Johnson and Chief Alan who I guess were still talking. Richy pulled me into a hug. I was a bit taken aback by the gesture when I heard him whisper, "They're watching us. Guess the Chief told Johnson about a certain woman named Marina visiting me in the hospital. He doesn't look happy." I whispered back, "Shit. I was afraid this would happen." "Shh. They are walking over." I pulled back from his embrace, but his arm was still wrapped around my waist. "Well Mr. Davis, your lawyer has posted bail, so you are free to go for now. Though I am not happy about this, Mr West seems to say that this is all a misunderstanding that will be cleared up pretty soon. Right Mr West?" Chief Alan asked. "Absolutely." Johnson responded curtly. We all nod in agreement and walk out of the police station. We got into Johnson's car and he started driving out of the parking area.

"Ok now both of you need to answer things, starting from you Richy. What the hell is with you lying about the attack on you? And why do you have a black eye?" Johnson snapped. "I did not lie about my attack and the black eye is because I ran into a door." Richy said. "Don't lie to me Davis else I will whoop your ass back to jail." Johnson said angrily. "Can you actually un-bail a person? And wouldn't that reflect poorly on you?" Richy retorted with a smirk. "Ok let me try understanding this. You getting arrested on the same day your girlfriend almost gets barbecued which is also a day after you guys speak to me about a dead girl and a kidnapped girl, is purely coincidental." Johnson said. Richy looked at me, "What? What the hell happened?". Before I could answer Johnson interjects, "Oh good Lord. Some guy locked her in the closet and set the house on fire." "What the fuck? Are you ok? Jade, did you see the doctor? Are you hurt?" Richy asked. "I'm fine," I said trying to squash the conversation and avoiding Richy's piercing stare. "And what's the deal with Marina Sokolov. Who is she?" Johnson snapped again. "Uh. Some random chick who has a crush on me." Richy said. "So you were making out with a random chick a few days ago in your hospital bed when you have a girlfriend?" Johnson asked. "Johnson please stop hounding him," I said. "You are okay with it?" Johnson said looking extremely surprised. "He told me. She's had that kind of history," I said gritting my teeth. Johnson sighed, "I don't even know who you are anymore. This isn't over. But its been a long day. Let's talk tomorrow. Richy where can I drop you?" "Umm, straight down the road and third right." Richy said. We drove in silence. As we got to Richy's house, I stepped out as Richy was getting out of the car. "Where do you think you are going?" Johnson asked. "To my boyfriend's house?" I said as a matter of fact. Richy put his arm around my waist yet again, "I think she would be more comfortable here. I promise I will take care of her." Johnson rolled his eyes, "Fine. Meet me tomorrow for breakfast. I'll text you the details. And Davis, if anything happens to her, I will kill you." Richy smiled, "Would never even doubt that for a bit. Thank you, Johnson, for everything." Johnson gave a brief smile and drove away.