Part 18

After a few minutes had passed, I had calmed down. It seemed like I was constantly in panic mode. Jade, this isn't the first time he has called. His threats actually mean something. It seemed like we were closing in. He is panicking too. He probably wasn't expecting Richy to be found so soon and alive, I guess. Maybe that's why he didn't want me to talk to him. It made me all the more determined to talk to Richy. I paced around the room trying to think of a way to reach Richy right away. I was glad I hadn't called Jake. Telling him about the call would have made him panic as well. He had to get his things done I suppose. Besides he wouldn't be out for long right? Should I call the hospital? Would they let Richy take a call?

I think it was best if I waited for Jake. I had to run this by him. Ok I needed to wait for him. My phone buzzed. I jumped in fright. I checked the phone. It was Lilly.

Lilly: Hey I don't know if you had a chance to think about this but what should I do about the rental car?

Jade: Oh shoot I forgot about that completely. Can you get it fixed?

Lilly: Yup Dan said he will pay for the damages. Sadly our resident mechanic is in the hospital so I might to take it to Tool Tastic.

Jade: Fair enough. Would it take long?

Lilly: Well if I believe Dan then its just the tires so we just have to get the tires replaced so not a long time.

Jade: Sounds good Lilly. Thanks.

Lilly: You're not still mad at Dan are you?

Jade: What do you think?

Lilly: Seems like you still are. Look he isn't a bad guy you know.

Jade: I'm pretty sure his stupid activities will reduce considerably if he stops drinking.

Lilly: That I believe definitely. Have you spoken to Jake recently?

Tricky question. She didn't know we were staying together so I had to be careful answering this.

Jade: Yes in the morning; he had texted.

Lilly: About?

Jade: Why do you want to know?

Lilly: Jeez all you had to say that it was personal I wouldn't ask.

Jade: 😒. Do I ask about your conversation with Dan.

Lilly: Ill share if you do. 😋

Jade: Not in a million years.

The woman had no boundaries at all. The knock on the door startled me. "Its me," Jake said. I opened the door and he walked in. "Great you are back. Everything went well?" I said. "Yeah told you I wouldn't take more than an hour." He said. He seemed slightly tensed just slightly. "You seem a bit off," I said. "Oh its nothing. I'm just a bit tired." He said. "When was the last time you slept?" I asked. "Years ago," he said giggling. I laughed. This was one of the first few things we had talked about. How the things had changed. Now we were talking face to face instead of the phone screen except I wished it wasn't when we were hiding. "Jake. The kidnapper called." I said quietly. "What?" he exclaimed. I told him what the kidnapper had told. His eyes narrowed and was about to say something when I interjected, "I'm not scared neither am I giving up. The call just proves that we are narrowing in and he is feeling the pressure." "Exactly," he said "I didn't expect this from you to be honest Jade." "I am done running away from things Jake. Granted many people have been hurt in the process but I cant let that go to waste. Its high time we find Hannah no matter what the cost." I said stubbornly. "I guess that's the right spirit." Jake said.

"And I hope you would support me in this. I need to talk to Richy.. in person... in Duskwood." I said. "No way," he reverted. "That's too dangerous. Jade you ...." "Jake I need to meet Richy. I cannot read him over the chat or call. It has to be face to face. Whether he was genuinely abducted, attacked or he is just playing, we need to know. We have to narrow our suspect list starting from Richy. Please you have to understand this." I interrupted. He stared at me with a pained look in his eyes. "Let me sleep over it. Until tomorrow? Can you do that?" he asked. "Yes but I need to be there before the others get to him," I said. "I understand." He said. He groaned, "I have to do some setup with the new things but I think you should sleep." He said. "Will you be up a long time?" I asked. "Not long Jade. Relax take some rest. I'll sleep as soon as I'm done." He said. "Why does that feel like you aren't going to sleep at all?" I said. He giggled, "Ill try Jade." He then sat on the couch and started working on his laptop.

I slept in the bed. Luckily there were no nightmares. My eyes opened and I looked at the clock. It was too early. So early that the sun wasn't up yet. My eyes adjusted to the dim light. I looked over at the couch and I did not see Jake there. I got out of the bed and looked around the room. He was nowhere to be found. I heard the door unlock and Jake walked in. "Good morning." He said, "Ok Jade I believe meeting Richy in person is a wise choice. But you have to prepare for it." I looked at him, "Prepare for it? Like an exam?" I asked. "Kind of. The hospital has cops so I don't know how you are going to get through. But even if you get through you need to remember that your presence should not be memorable. Don't draw attention towards you." He said. "You know the way you say it, it feels daunting. Were you in a Spy movie that I don't know about?" I asked. He rolled his eyes, "When you live your life like me you learn how to be invisible." "Ok fine. I'll be invisible. What should I do? Wear a pink wig, stilettos and a miniskirt?" I said jokingly. He narrowed his eyes. "You are imagining that aren't you?" I asked . "No," he said quickly "Its not funny Jade." "Ok what do you have in mind?" I asked. He handed me a bag. I looked at it contents and I couldn't believe my eyes.