Part 12

Jake and I looked at each other. "Dan? I thought his car was wrecked. And he got discharged from the hospital?" I asked. Silence again. "Lilly?" I yelled. "He .. he got discharged yesterday. And the idiot thought it would be a good idea to get a new car... That's why he came to my home to surprise me." She said quietly. "Why didn't you tell me?" I asked. "It was so late at night. Besides it was none of your business who I see or who comes to see me." She said. "It is now since he almost tried to kill me. Why did you tell him I was here?" I asked. "Okay do you want me to give it you in writing? I did not tell him." She said with anger. "What did he tell you when he came to see you? Just that "Surprise babe. I'm no longer a patient and I bought a new car. You wouldn't believe the fun I had. I wish I had got to stab a bitch but no worries I can do that tomorrow."" I said in a mean tone. Anger surged through me. My fear was redirected. Jake clenched his fists. Guess he was angry as well.

"Enough Jade. I am as surprised as you are and believe me I am pretty sure you would have gotten the news of his discharge either straight from him or from someone else. Did you expect me to text you as soon as I got to know? I was ... busy you know." She remarked. "Gross. Look besides the car and your heart to heart did he say anything suspicious?" I asked. "Well.. he did ask if my parents were still subletting the apartment. Some people were interested in staying in Duskwood over the weekend." She said. "And what did you say?" I asked. "I told that my parents weren't subletting this time." She said. I slapped my forehead. "Seems like he already had an inkling that I was there." "But how?" Lilly asked. "Well that's something only Dan can answer. I have to ask him." I said. From the corner of my eye I saw Jake shake his head. "No, you can't ask him. I doubt he will be as forthcoming as me when it comes to your interrogation skills." She retorted. "Fine you will ask him then." I said. "I don't think it's the right time for me to question him." She said. "Why is that?" I asked. "Ummm he just got out of the hospital... and he may not have been in the right sense of mind I guess." She said nervously. "Ok what would it take for you to question him? For him to actually kill someone?" I asked. Silence again.

"Lilly what's going on?" I asked. "I'm in love with him, ok? He can act like an ass sometimes, but he is a good man." She said. Jake's eyes narrowed. I sighed. Not long ago I was defending Jake to the others. I understood where she was coming from. But we couldn't turn a blind eye to what we had seen. "Lilly if there is an innocent explanation to what Dan did and that is a big if, we need to know. I need you to be objective enough to see through his lies. If you say he won't be honest with me would he be honest with you?" I asked. I know I was putting her in a tough spot. "I hope he won't." She said. "Ok Lilly I will be waiting. Please ask him but don't let him get suspicious of the fact that you know it is him. Can you do that?" I asked. "Okay." She said in a small voice. I saw Jake's eyes soften a bit. "Bye Lilly." I said. "Bye" she said and hung up the phone.

I sat down on the bed. My head was pounding. This was going from bad to worse. Jake sat down next to me. "Something tells me that you aren't very shocked." He said. "Dan was never the best among the group. I know he is impulsive but impulsive enough to kill? That is gut wrenching." I said. "You think that you know them Jade but people are not always they say who they are. Honestly based on what I know about Dan I wouldn't have thought of him to be the culprit." He sat straight on the bed with a quizzed look. "I thought Dan was with Jessy." "Yeah. That's what he told me. I don't know the Lilly angle. It is such a cluster f***." I said annoyingly. Before Jake could say anything my phone buzzed.

Private conversation between Lilly & Dan

Lilly: Hey Dan

Dan: Hey babe. Did you think about what I said?

Lilly: No. I actually have a problem and need your help.

Dan: Shoot. What's going on?

Lilly: So remember you asked me about my parents apartment?

Dan: Yes

Lilly: Apparently the neighbours reported a break in. Said that they saw some damages on the locks.

Dan: Oh. That's awful.

Lilly: Yeah so, I need to go the security office and get the footage for the entirety of last night. Would you join me please?

Dan typing .........

Lilly: I am so scared Dan.

I didn't know if this was her being creative or her guilting him. I just hoped he gave away something.

Dan: There are security cameras in the building?

Lilly: Yes. They got it installed with all that is happening. Plus, many apartments are being sublet so it is safer that way.

So, Dan had no idea about the cameras. Rookie mistake. But why would he do that mistake? We waited for Dan to come up with a phenomenal excuse to get out of it. Or best he would stop responding.

A few moments passed by. No response from Dan. So that's the route he was taking.

Lilly: Dan?

No response. I sighed. "Looks like cat's got his tongue." Jake asserted. "Of course." I fell on the bed groaning. Stupid Dan. And it was stupid of me to let Lilly talk to him. Now he was alerted. He probably must be planning to run away. "He can't run away you know. I have him tracked. All I need is to get the resources and we should be ready. I just have to go and get it." Jake said. I almost smiled. He understood what was on my mind even before I said anything. "Where do you have to go?" I asked. "I don't know the location now. I just need to place an order and I'll get the location later." He said. "Besides you don't need to bother your head about it." "I don't think I can. My mind has turned to milkshake. Is it safe for you to go?" I asked. "It is reliable." He said. I put my hand over his. "Don't go." I said quietly. I did not think that I could bear him being away with "Dangerous Dan" on the loose. "I'll be fine. Let me just get things on track first." He said.