Part 15

I stared at the screen. I felt like I was sucker punched. Jake held my hand. I think he realized that I was shocked. He gripped my hand and said, "That's awful. I think we just need to take some rest." "Of course, dear. Poor man. So young. He had his whole life ahead of him." Jake nodded and dragged me back to the room. I sat down on the bed; tears welled up in my eyes. Jake put the news on in the room and sat down next to me. A reporter was saying, "Just an hour ago the police responded to an SOS call by a hiker. They were hiking on the south west trail in the Duskwood forest when they came across the motionless body of a man underneath a tree. The police responded to the SOS call that the hiker placed right after finding the body. We have received confirmation that it was indeed the missing owner of Roger's Garage in Duskwood. The young man had gone missing..." Suddenly I could hear a lot of yelling in the background. The camera moved violently and a voice boomed, "No press is allowed here.." And then the report showed static. The telecast shifted back to the studio with a reporter behind a desk. "We seem to be experiencing some technical difficulties. We will have more on the situation once we back after this short break," the reporter announced.

The report cut to commercial. I exhaled painfully. The worst thing I had imagined had become a reality. I could also hear my phone buzzing loudly. Jake held my hand and I put my head on his shoulder squeezing my eyes shut. "Jade?" he began. "I had a feeling this would happen. I should have stopped him.. I." I said sobbing. I had cried so much in the past few hours that it had become my second nature. "Hush. Breathe Jade, just breathe." He said in a calm tone. The news resumed. The reporter at the desk started, "We apologize for the technical issues but due to the graphic situation, the Duskwood police has barred all press from the scene of the crime." I started remembering about the time when Richy had said, "I wonder what would have happened if you weren't there with us?" You would have probably been alive Richy, I thought sadly. I shouldn't have interfered at all. "We now have the Duskwood Police Captain give us a status update." The reporter continued. The scene changed. The background was of the Duskwood forest. A distinct looking man was now one the screen. He wore spectacles which made him look older and sterner. "A few hours ago this evening, we were alerted to an incident in the Duskwood forest. The owner of Roger's garage who was reported to be missing was found in the south west trail of the forest. The Duskwood Police is pleased to inform that the person in question was found alive but unconscious. He has been taken to the hospital for treatment of his wounds. Thank you." He declared and walked away abruptly with multiple people seemingly asking him more questions.

"Oh thank God he is alive," I screamed. I hugged Jake tightly. Huge waves of relief washed over me. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "Yes that is really great news. I told you he would be fine." Jake said happily. I let go off him and checked my phone. There were multiple texts on my phone.

Group Chat (Lilly, Cleo, Thomas, Richy, Dan, Jessy)

Jessy: Richy.. on the news.

Cleo: Oh no.

Dan: Damn

Thomas: Crap

Lilly: Poor Richy.

Jessy: I can't believe he is gone. That's not possible.

Cleo: Jade's not online yet.

Jessy: She would be devastated.

Thomas: Guys hang on the news report is back.

Lilly: Thank God

Dan: That was so scary. Who says half the news? The press are idiots.

Jessy: Yipee. Thank God he is fine.

Cleo: We don't know that yet. He has been taken to the hospital.

Jessy: 😒Cleo can you for once hope for something positive.

Cleo: I am just trying to manage your expectations. He was missing for almost 2 days.

Dan: Richy is a boy scout. If anyone among us has a chance of getting through this, then that is Richy.

Thomas: Dan's right.

I started typing.

Jade: Guys I saw the news. I am so happy Richy is alive.

Jessy: Yes, it is such a relief.

Lilly: Let's go to visit him.

Cleo: Let me call the hospital.

Thomas: I hope he regains consciousness soon.

Dan: He will.

"Looks like they are happy too," Jake remarked. I nodded. "I would have never been able to live with myself if anything had happened to him." I said. "A good news after such a long time." He said. "I know, maybe this gets us closer to Hannah. I am positive that Richy's attacker is related to Hannah's kidnapping." I said. Jake had a confused look on his face, "Maybe." "What is it? Something is on your mind." I said. "No I am just thinking about getting my resources. I had just cancelled it." "Why?" I asked. "The news about Richy seemed to take a toll on you so I thought it would be wise to stay back." He said. "Oh. I am okay now. I think you should go get it." I said. He looked at me maybe thinking that I was lying about being okay but then he shrugged, "I guess I can go get it. I won't be long. An hour tops." He said standing up and grabbing his bag and keys.

The frown on my face stopped him, "Do you not want me to go?" "Huh?" I looked at him losing my train of thought. "I asked if you didn't want me to go but I think you are bothered by something else." He said. "What if someone else from the group attacked Richy?" I asked. "Who?" Jake asked. "I don't know I have been having this thought in my head about Jessy." I said. "You think Jessy is the kidnapper?" he asked. "Yes and No. She could be the kidnapper but what if she had an ulterior motive to attack Richy?" I retorted. "Phil," Jake said as a matter of fact. "Yeah, I never thought of that. Jessy was very upset when Phil got arrested. She didn't know about the charges on him or she says she doesn't. She went all beast mode to search for clues to exonerate Phil. She found out about Jennifer Hanson. But that wasn't enough. Something drastic had to happen to prove that Phil is innocent. If Phil is accused of Amy's murder, Hannah's kidnapping and the attack on Jessy, then the best way to prove his innocence is by showing that bad things are still happening with Phil being in jail. So it automatically exonerates him. Plus when Richy went missing she was going all about him wanting to see me and everything." I said.

Jake looked at me, "Do you think Jessy did this? Attacked her own boss to save her brother?" "You told me people will never keep anyone over blood. Phil is her blood." I said. "Okay that seems plausible Jade. But that still doesn't help us find Hannah." Jake said. "Yeah that is if Jessy did this just to save Phil." I said. Jake's phone buzzed. He took a look at it and sighed, "I have to go. Ill be back soon. Just relax. You are stressing a lot on the Richy situation. Let's just wait and see what Richy has to say. I am sure he will sort everything out. Also, stay indoors and don't open the door for anyone. Not even the old lady. Dial 5 if you see or hear anything suspicious and I mean anything. Even if its nothing. Ok?" "What does dialing 5 do?" I asked. "It sends me an SOS signal with your location. It is instantaneous." He said. "I'm serious Jade, anything even if it means nothing." "Ok ok. I will dial 5 even when I see nothing." I smirked. He rolled his eyes and stomped out the room, "See you."