Episode 6: And the Winner Is... Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

After a close encounter with Amon, Korra took a leave of absence from Tarrlok's task force. But the Avatar has still been hard at work, leading the underdog Fire Ferrets to the pro-bending championship finals. Only one team stands in their way: the Wolfbats! Led by team captain Tahno, the brutal Wolfbats look to repeat as champs. Have the Fire Ferrets finally met their match?

The roaring of an invisible crowd spilled over into the make-shift ring as Bolin quickly threw two earth disks in a swift move with a flip. A flaming arc from Mako followed two jabs of fire all while Korra launched a stream of water forward. Each of their attacks landed on their own pictures of Tahno, the images being ripped and incinerated all to end up in shambles on the floor. Korra jumped up into the air with her left hand raised, a triumphant smile pouring over her face.

"You're listening to 'The Music Hour,' brought to you by Cabbage Corp, Republic City's trusted name in technology for over fifty years." Korra began confidently walking around, listening to the radio as background noise. Bolin rushed over and swooped Pabu off of his spot curled up next to the radio and swung him around before nestling his head a couple of times.

"Man, I got a good feeling about tonight. I don't care if we are the underdogs. We can take those pompous Wolfbats," Korra grinned.

Taking off his helmet, Mako said, "It's going to be our toughest match ever, but I think you're right."

"Introducing your new champs, the fantastic Fire Ferrets!" Bolin held Pabu up to the sky, Pabu's arms waving tiredly around as they looked for somewhere in the air to rest. Bolin let out a hearty laugh, placing Pabu back into his place next to the radio, the ferret jumping up instantly as Bolin put him down.

"I thought you were still tired, Pab-"

"Good morning, citizens of Republic City. This is Amon." The radio had faded from an abrupt static and the team looked down at the radio in shock after rushing over to make sure that they were hearing it right. "I hope you all enjoyed last night's pro-bending match because it will be the last. It's time for this city to stop worshiping bending athletes as if they were heroes when many non-benders are barely living. I am calling on the council to shut down the bending arena and cancel the finals, or elsewhere will be severe consequences."

"That guy's got some nerve," Bolin squeaked, his fingernail finding its way in between his teeth as he nervously chewed. "And he's scary."

"You think the council will give in?" Mako asked Korra. He faintly looked at his brother biting his hands and smacked his hands away from his mouth. "Remember what happened to me when I did that?" Bolin's hands immediately dropped to his sides and he instead busied himself with finding where Pabu had scattered off to.

Korra furrowed her brows at the brother's interaction but shook it off as she turned back to the radio which had resumed its normal programming. "I'm not waiting to find out. We need to get to City Hall."

The Fire Ferrets hurriedly slid off of Naga as they stopped in front of City Hall, their rushing steps echoing down every hallway that they turned into. As they approached the council room, the secretaries of the council people leaped up from their places near the door and tried their best to stop the meeting's incoming intruders.