Episode 3: The Earth Queen Part 2

Getting up onto the building was less painful than getting over the wall, mostly because Mako expected it this time. And within seconds they were zipping across the gridded streets of the Middle Ring, on the hunt for Bolin and Kai.

They honestly thought it would be harder to find them in the midst of all the globs of people out and about, but to their surprise, it wasn't that hard at all. Mostly because the second they heard rumbling earth and a million bricks toss up into the air before clattering down to the ground, they knew they'd at least found Bolin.

"Get back here!" Bolin screeched as he hurled bricks at Kai, trying to trip up his dashing so he could finally catch up to him. Kai never acknowledge Bolin as he ran, but constantly held a teasing smile on his face as he whirled around corners and just caught a glimpse of Bolin struggling to keep up.

"Help Bolin chase him or go cut Kai off at the next street corner?" Mako asked as he noted that Kai was essentially running in circles that slowly got bigger the more he ran around.

"You honestly need to ask that question?" Lemaya gave Mako a look and then they were off, jumping across roof after roof until they were further down on the street Kai had just turned onto. They waited until Kai got near the middle of the narrow road, his steps slowing just a bit to see if he had lost Bolin in the bustle of the main street he just came from. With a nod, Mako and Lemaya jumped down from the building, Mako slowing their fall with a boost of fire as he held Lemaya's waist. Lemaya, in the seconds it took them to get to the ground, whipped her water out of her satchel and secured it around Kai, pulling him back from the middle of the street to where she and Mako were waiting.

"Heya, Kai," Lemaya smiled, freezing the water in place so Kai had no chance of wriggling out of it.

"What is it with you guys and restraining me like this," he groaned as he tried to buck his shoulders to break the ice.

Mako's mouth opened, ready to ask why he was luring his brother around like that, but he didn't have a chance to speak before two large mounds of earth were hurling toward him and Lemaya, a firm shout following closely behind them. "Hey! Hands off the kid!"

Despite the fiery anger Bolin was holding for him, he wasn't about to just let him get nabbed in the street.

Mako and Lemaya ducked, walls of fire and ice shooting up to block their bodies from impact. Naturally, since Lemaya kind of needed the water to protect herself, Kai was able to break free and make a run for it the second the ice melted into water. Yes, it was at the expense of getting part of his clothes damp, but it was worth it because within minutes he was long gone from the street.

"Bolin!" Mako cried once he smacked the rock to the ground in a burst of fire. "It's us!"

Bolin furrowed his brows as he slid to a stop at the end of the street, his fists slowly falling from their readied fighting position. "Mako? Lemaya? What are you doing here?" Lemaya grunted as she pulled the water back into her satchel and pushed a few stay hairs out of her face.

"Being attacked by you, apparently."

Grimacing, Bolin said, "Yeah, sorry about that. I thought you were taking Kai."

"We were," Mako sighed, "We were actually trying to help you out since he was running rings around you."

"Pssh, no he wasn't."

"Yes, I was."

Bolin gasped and nearly clawed his way up the wall with his bare hands as Kai's head poked out for just a second over the high ledge. His laugh echoed across the rooftops as the three of them looked at each other, a single thought passing between them before they bolted off, right on Kai's heels.