Episode 3: Civil Wars: Part 1 Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

Korra has reopened the Southern spirit portal and taken the first step toward restoring the balance between spirits and man. Meanwhile, tensions are high between Korra and her father after she discovered that he was hiding the dark secret that, years ago, he was banished from the North. Now, the Northern navy has landed on Southern shores. What other plans does Unalaq have for the Avatar?

"Greetings. I am humbled that you accepted my invitation." A deep bow was given in the direction of the burly man that stood before a staggered group of people with bags thrown over their shoulders.

"I'm sorry we missed the festival. We were just thinking about whether or not we should accept your offer given...well, things."

"Oh, nonsense, Zaheer. It's no trouble at all about the festival. Come, let me show you to where you all will be staying." Unalaq ushered them down the hall and away from the wide entrance doors that any passerby could look in through. Having passed through many twists and turns of ice hallways, Unalaq pushed open a small, inconspicuous door and stepped inside, gesturing for the rest of them to follow. "I hope it is to your tastes." The people whom Zaheer traveled with murmured amongst themselves as they set down their belongings beside the beds and dressers provided for them.

Unalaq watched over them, pleased with his ability to gather enough accommodations for ten people for his fleet of Northern troops to bring with them to the South. "I know there's not many, but even though we all liked what you were saying, to some it just seemed very..."

"Improbable?" Unalaq raised a brow at Zaheer, the bald man shifting his stance under Unalaq's gaze.

"Not to me, but to some, yes."

"I figured, but it's no matter. What needs to be done to restore balance and fix the wrongdoings done to you non-benders is something that can be achieved by your few," Unalaq assured.

"And how exactly does the Avatar fit into all of this? We heard that she's here and working with you." A woman stepped forward from behind Zaheer with her arms wrapped tightly around herself.

"Well..." Unalaq trailed off, leaning his head toward the woman in order to get her name.

"Kani," she said blankly.

"Well, Kani, the Avatar, as the balance keeper of our world, has certain powers necessary to achieve many things."

Kani deadpanned. "Like...?"

"Like bending energy, both in terms of giving and taking bending, like separating the spirit and physical world, like achieving peace and harmony. While these may all seem abstract, the closer we get to combining the spirit and physical world, the closer we all get to what we want." Unalaq gradually moved closer and closer to Kani, his demeaning breath fanning her face as she continued to stare coldly down at him.

"If she can give bending like you said you'd give us, why aren't we rushing to do it now?" Kani's words created a few whispers behind her, and Zaheer anxiously watched as Unalaq stepped even closer.

"Because, as I have mentioned before, bending was held by all in a time where we were the most spiritual. And when was that? Oh, right, when the spirit and physical worlds were combined. It's very simple, Kani. When we unite the world, you will get all that you deserve." Kani remained unflinching underneath Unalaq's stern gaze due to the sly way he answered her question, her gaze holding even as he whipped around and slapped her face with the upswing of his robes.