Episode 8: The Terror Within Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

Korra is now the first Avatar to learn metalbending. And who better to learn from than one of Toph Beifong's children, Suyin. At the Air Temple, Jinora learned a new airbending skill from Kai that allows her to tap into the spiritual energy of the earth. Meanwhile, the airbender Zaheer and his friends are closing in on Avatar Korra's location using the very same skill. What do they want with the Avatar and why are they so bent on getting it?

Mako flicked another flat stone over the still pond, counting each jump before it sank to the low depths. "That's seven." A snort sounded beside him as the person to his right reared their arm back then sent their own rock flying over the water. "And that was four. It seems your standing strategy isn't working after all."

With a sigh, Wing sat himself next to Mako on the edge of the pond, the view behind it unfolding to the bright start of Zaofu's city center. "You know, when I snuck you out of Zaofu to take part in my favorite thinking activity, I did not think you would be better at it than me."

"You say it as if this was some planned thing and not because you randomly ran into me in the hallway my first night here." Wing laughed.

"You know, I never did ask why you were roaming our house at the odd hours of the night."

Mako turned another stone over in his fingers before throwing it across the lake too. "Whenever I can't stop thinking about things, I walk around to clear my head." The stone landed after its fifth jump. He was now up to thirty-three points and wing was losing miserably.

"And what were you thinking about that night? How to be a mysterious brooder?" Mako rolled his eyes and shoved his elbow into Wing's arm.

"I have that pretty much down, so no thinking there," he joked. Then, as Wing picked up a loose stone to toss over the lake, Mako continued, "I just couldn't shake this feeling that there was something off, so I wanted to see if I could figure it out."

"And did you?"

Mako counted six jumps of Wing's stone. "No, I ran into a not-at-all sneaky guy who practically begged me to run off with him and finish the rest of his stolen Lotus Wine."

"One, I don't beg. Two, it wasn't stolen, it was a recent gift from my parents for my nineteenth birthday, just like Opal got a year ago for hers and Huan and Baatar got before her." Mako hummed as he downed the last bit of white liquid in the cheap glass Wing had brought for them to drink out of.

"Yes, I'm sure your parents gifted you a single bottle that just magically keeps refilling every time you run into me in the odd hours of the night."

Wing frowned as he counted up his score and realized he was only up to twenty-five. Not only was Mako beating him at the game, but he was poking holes in his story. Totally not fair. "If you don't want to believe me, that's fine. We'll just move on." Mako chuckled as Wing shifted himself away from the lake and boldly draped his legs over Mako's crossed ones. "What exactly were you trying to figure out?"

Mako paused as he started for a long moment at Wing's legs. He couldn't help the slight flutter in his chest, but it had considerably lessened since the moments during the Power Disc game. It was as if he was finally becoming comfortable again with being like this with someone, even if it wasn't anything real. "I am not really sure. I tried to write the feeling off at first, but then the next morning Bolin was going on about this theory he has. Something about this lady he met in an underground bunker that freakily reminds him of Opal, a thumbtack someone apparently planted in his pocket, and a hug that he feels this kid we met, Kai, gave him under 'suspicious circumstances.'