Adventures in the Earth Kingdom: Chapter 4

Day 8: Oneta

Dear Asami,

So, by the time you read this, it'll have been a few days since I left. That's entirely the fault of the Earth Kingdom not extending their impeccable mailing services to their rural provinces, not me. I am, in fact, writing this letter on the same day that I left.

Mako wanted me to tell you again that he is actually fine and whatdya know, he's visiting our childhood home. That was certianly a shock to find out when I arrived. It's crazy how going back to our childhood is something we're all kind of doing right now. Mako and I talked through some stuff and I think we're in a really good place now which is really relieving. I plan to stay with him a bit longer, catch up, then head back to Republic City.

And on the note of needing to get places, there's a little something taped to the back of this letter. Consider it an early birthday present from me and Mako. We wish you the best 19th and that you and your mom make the most of it because the ticket is set for West Baza. I know you made little detour to humor my want to see a fight, so I figured I'd make things a little easier than you having to drive day and night to see your mom. And, it is for 3 days before your birthday, so, if you don't want to waste our present, you kinda have to use it soon. Sorry, not sorry!

You'll also find that there's more than one ticket there. Just in case you need it.

You had a plan for this trip, so don't psych yourself out. Go for it, even if you don't stick the landing. Which shouldn't even be a worry because you're Asami Sato, the bestest ever. Of course you're going to stick the landing.

I wish I was going to be there, but since I won't be, tell me everything.

Bolin

"At least his letter was comprehensive," Asami giggled as she set Bolin's letter down on the dining table in front of her. Zai's eyes fluttered down to see the entire page-worth of writing scrawled onto really nice-looking paper and she smiled, her mind mentally comparing it to the small, ripped scrawl of paper that held the other message Asami got.

"I wouldn't really consider it a letter."

"Really? I think 'Hope you're having fun. Can't wait to have you back in the city. Talk to you soon.' Is the peak of letter writing, actually." Setting Bolin's letter and the one Korra had taken so much time to write her in a safe space, Asami turned off the stove and opened the top of the kettle, letting the steam rush out as she moved to pour the boiling mixture over maple leaves in cups she had set off to the right.

Zai watched Asami with a small smile, glancing off every so often to check on the little window into the oven and make sure that nothing was burning to a crisp. She didn't know exactly what the letter from Bolin had been about, but if the train tickets stuck to the back of it were any indication, then they didn't have as much time as Zai hoped.

Pulling herself out of her thoughts, Zai went back to focusing in on the moment at hand just as Asami set down a steaming cup of tea on the table in front of her. Asami looked down at her expectantly, biting at the inside of her cheek as she waited for Zai to take a sip. Zai knew that Asami was anxious to see if she followed the recipe correctly, so she slowly reached for the cup, pursing her lips to cool it down, and took her time lifting the cup to her lips.

"Oh, come on!" Asami whined, wanting Zai to hurry up.

Zai smirked from behind the cup, raising her brows teasingly at Asami as she tilted the cup carefully back and let the warm liquid slide down her throat. "So? Is it any good?" Zai continued to tip the cup back until only half of it remained and let out a satisfied 'ahh.' Asami was going to take that as a good sign, but the blank stare on Zai's face made her doubt that plan.