Episode 8: Beginnings Part 2

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

The Avatar has lost her memory! In order to restore it, Korra has connected with Wan, the very first Avatar. Banished from his home for protecting the spirits, Wan spent the next long months of his life saving the guardian spirits from unknowing harm by humans. Now, Wan is welcomed to the Spirit Oasis where the guardians wish to thank him for all his help. However, a strange occurrence fast approaches the spirit world as more humans explore the forests and more dark spirits devour the woods.

"Whoa, hey, no sudden moves, please," Wan murmured as his left hand gently pet the soft head fur on, what he had learned was, a cat-deer's head. The animal yelped as it jerked more, the vines curled viciously around its body tightening more against its frightened movements. "You really got yourself tight in here, huh?" Wan smiled gently at the cat-deer, trying to calm it down as he slowly untwisted the vines. With Wan's slow movements and habitual rub after pulling out a particularly painful thorn stuck beneath the animal's skin, the cat-deer relaxed, and Wan pulled it out of the vine jumble and back onto the safety of the non-vined forest floor.

The cat-deer pranced around for a few seconds before its legs collapsed beneath it, the holes on its legs from the thorns bleeding an unusual green color. "That doesn't look right. Here." Wan curled the vines back around the usual tree that they stayed on except for the few unfortunate times they snapped off of the tree to try and suffocate you, and turned to the cat-deer, scooping it into his arms.

Wan hummed a soft tune as he skated through the forest, avoiding all of the spirits he had come to learn didn't appreciate being walked near and the ever-growing dark patches seeping closer to the Spirit Oasis. Wan emerged from the forest back into the familiar clearing he had been staying in at the request of the guardians. He stepped to the edge of the Spirit Pool in the middle of the clearing, searching its waters for Tui and La.

Figuring they were out traveling the streams, Wan roamed his eyes around the forest, looking for another spirit in the trees around him. "Shaw, you there?" Wan looked over the cat-deer, making sure it was still conscious even with its wounds, and stroked behind its ears.

"Yes, Wan, I am. What do you need?" Shaw jumped over the trees at the edge of the forest and landed beside Wan, tilting his head at Wan's hold on the baby cat-deer.

"Is it okay if I put them in the water? The vines that jump out at you, they got them and I think it's some sort of poison," Wan said as he gestured to the dried green blood on the cat-deer's legs.

"Yes, it's okay, Wan." Wan nodded and quickly steeped the cat-deer in the water, holding their head above the water as it pressed over their wounds and patched them up. Wan smiled as he pulled the cat-deer out of the water, setting them on the ground so that they could finally finish prancing around. The cat-deer danced in a couple large circles but came running back to Wan to nuzzle against his comforting hand.

"It looks like they like you," Shaw said as he padded over to the two. Wan laughed as the cat-deer started to lick his face, his hands lightly pushing the animal's rough tongue away from his face.

"I guess so. Can we keep them?" Wan asked. He scratched a few fingers behind the cat-deer's ear as Shaw sighed.

"If they would like to stay, I don't see why it would be a problem. You'd have to take care of them, though. Cat-deer grow especially fast and get rather large," Shaw said sternly. Wan chuckled at Shaw's diligence and stared into the cat-deer's eyes, looking for a suitable name.