Epsiode 1: Welcome to Republic City Part 2

"Goodbye, Gran-Gran!" Ikki yelled. She waved down to her grandmother and nudged her siblings to do the same.

"Goodbye, mother!" Tenzin called. "Oogi, yip-yip!" Tenzin tugged on the sky bison's reins, Oogi grunting and pushing off of the ground at Tenzin's call. Korra watched sadly on top of Naga as they left for Republic City, a tear flowing softly down her cheek. Lemaya looked over at her, wiping the tear off of her skin with a gentle touch. She carefully turned Korra's head towards her, holding her face as she held a sad smile.

"Hey, don't cry, nothing's over yet," Lemaya whispered.

"How can you say that. They've left, and now I can't learn airbending," Korra cried, leaning into Lemaya's chest. Lemaya wrapped her arms around Korra and soothingly rubbed her arms in an attempt to calm her.

"Well, you could just leave. It's not like they can truly stop you, I mean you are the Avatar," Lemaya suggested. Korra sniffled and sat up a bit, rubbing her nose as she looked at Lemaya's blue eyes.

"You mean run away?"

"Don't pretend that you weren't already thinking about it, I know you were." Lemaya gave Korra a mischievous look as she tucked some stray hairs behind her own ears. She scrunched up her nose and rubbed it against Korra's repeatedly, earning a hoarse chuckle from the avatar.

"Okay, okay, I guess you're right," Korra sadly smiled, rubbing her eyes dry.

"Atta girl, now how about we get our goodbyes in order so you can go and kick some airbending butt."

"You make saying goodbye sound a lot less sad than it is." Lemaya rolled her eyes and climbed around Korra, grabbing Naga's reins as she adjusted herself on the saddle.

"Well, it's not like it's goodbye forever." Lemaya snapped the reins and sent Naga running off back to the center of the Southern Water Tribe, Korra's arms snaking around Lemaya's waist as she buried her head in her back, a big smile on her face.

Reaching the town gate, Lemaya set down Naga's reins and turned back to Korra grabbing her hands: "Okay, don't forget food for the journey. Oh, and clothes! And make sure to take care of Naga! And yourself."

"I get it, Lemaya, I'll be fine," Korra laughed. Lemaya let out a sigh and squeezed Korra's hands.

"I know." She then engulfed Korra in a bear hug, Korra gladly returning the favor. They sat there for a few moments and then pulled away, a tear now falling softly down Lemaya's cheek. Korra smiled as she wiped away the tear, giving her cheek a light pinch.

"See ya, warrior."

"See ya, Avatar," Lemaya teased. "And don't forget our cave talk!" Korra chuckled and shook her head watching Lemaya slide cautiously off of Naga and wave goodbye as she struck Naga's reins and bounded off towards the Water Tribe's stables in preparation for her journey to Republic City.

While strapping on a fresh saddle for Naga, Korra jumped as she heard a voice from behind her: "Nice night for an escape, isn't it?" Korra turned to face the person, her eyes widening as she saw Katar standing in the stable doorway, her arms tucked tightly into her fur coat sleeves.

"I have to leave. I have to find my own path as the Avatar."

"I know you do," Katara said. She tilted her head forward silently, Korra's face brightening at the gesture and returning it enthusiastically.