Episode 14: Light in the Dark Part 1

Earth

Fire

Air

Water

Only the Avatar can master all four elements and bring balance to the world

THIS JUST IN:

Unalaq became the Dark Avatar! After fusing with Vaatu, Unalaq destroyed Raava, leaving Korra without either of her Avatar Spirits. Meanwhile, Tenzin and his siblings managed to save Jinora from the Fog of Lost Souls, but before long she had to leave because she sensed the dangerous chaos Unalaq unleashed. Can anyone save the world from this eternal darkness?

Sirens wailed under the early hours of the morning, the full moon still graciously providing light for the scrambling soldiers beneath her rays. From the first warning from Asami back at the rebel home base in the South of the tide turning in favor of Unalaq, the United Forces had begun preparing defenses for the imminent attack.

Having been briefed on his plan to gain power, President Raiko knew Republic City would be the first of his many stops, so they needed to do all they could to stop him in his tracks. And, when the sun started to pull over the stars, eons earlier than it was supposed to, the soldiers knew that Unalaq was near. That was exactly the type of imbalance that the end of the Avatars would begin with.

"Ambassador Kuvira, are your ships in position?" President Raiko murmured over a small radio grasped tightly in his hands.

Kuvira let out a monotone answer as she watched the sky closely. "Yes." 

The Earth Queen, at the behest of the president, allowed Kuvira to give her aid to Republic City, under the pretense that if the threat should move toward the Earth Kingdom, they needed to know of its power. Kuvira truly doubted that it would get that far, but she supposed it was better to be safe than sorry.

"General Iroh, are your ships in position?" President Raiko continued, calling on his general that he pulled from the harbor.

"Yes, Mr. President," Iroh said more formally than Kuvira wanted to muster, "but I need to know what kind of enemy we're dealing with."

Raiko sighed and pressed the radio roughly to his temple. "We don't know. The last transmission we got said that it seemed spiritual in nature. But what that translates to in person, we'll have to...see." President Raiko trailed off, his blood running cold as the sun dimmed for a brief moment.

Night almost descended across the skies again, until the sea before all of Republic City's defensive navy tore apart and a bright beaming light shot up into the sky.

The sun was no longer covered by the brilliant form, but its human likeness chilled the air more than the coldest night. There was no mistaking it, this was their enemy. And the second the ships regained their bearings from being pushed back by the rushing tidal waves Unalaq created, a single voice roared over the radio, "Fire!"

Streams of flames poured over the edge of the boats at the giant form striding across the sea, heading toward the mainland, but nothing fazed it. Instead, Unalaq barely even queried his pinky and a tidal wave extinguished all the flames then rolled over the ships, dispersing them around the harbor.

In his way stood the tall and green statue of Avatar Aang, but that didn't even slow Unalaq. He merely just wrapped it in thick black tendrils and yanked it harshly into the depths of the sea.

Planes soared past Unalaq, but none of them got close enough to deal any damage. Every pilot had to eject at the last minute to avoid the watery fate before them as Unalaq wrapped tendrils tightly around the planes and thrust them toward the ocean. "He's going to destroy the entire city," Raiko murmured to Lin who had come to join him in the radio room of one of the police airships carefully placed around the perimeter of the city.